Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prohibition?!  (Read 1221 times)

Thrombo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prohibition?!
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:32:44 pm »

If you are easily offended, stop reading now!

My dwarven civilization seems to be dry! I create the world, embark...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What madness is this?!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prohibition?!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:38:27 pm »

It's likely in this case that when you said "dry" you were right in the most literal sense. What actually happened is that the Dwarven civilization really was dry. Or rather, the subterranean caverns were.

Occasionally caverns will have no water whatsoever in them, and this means that no underground foliage grows down there. This in turn means that your Dwarven civilization will have no plants with which to brew their beloved booze, resulting in the depressing sight you have before you.

Also possible is that you decided to take all the booze, plant seeds, and plant matter available with you. Once you have selected every item in a category the category is no longer shown on the new item screen, which means you may have ferhoodled our minds and eyes.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:41:25 pm »

Sounds like your civilization could use a Dwarven Crime Squad...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:44:43 pm »

ferhoodled

Eric Blank cancels reply to post: interrupted by New Favorite Word.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:47:34 pm »

ferhoodled

Eric Blank cancels reply to post: interrupted by New Favorite Word.

Compliments of the Pennsylvania Deutsch.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Thrombo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:17 pm »

Also possible is that you decided to take all the booze, plant seeds, and plant matter available with you. Once you have selected every item in a category the category is no longer shown on the new item screen, which means you may have ferhoodled our minds and eyes.

Indeed this is not the case.

I think it may have something to do with the caverns - I decreased the number of caverns in this one to 1. I genned another world with 0 caverns and there was indeed no booze - and this time no plants or seeds either. Looks like dwarves in that land are carnivores. A third try and there were two booze types available.

Thanks for the helpful post. :)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help. :D