Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Objects at Negative Distance?  (Read 756 times)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Objects at Negative Distance?
« on: November 02, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

My apologies if this has been reported before. I was extending my bedroom complex to a lower level. I had my miners dig ramps down, but when one miner got near the end of his part, he starting spamming "Miner Cancels Dig: Can not find Path" He was trying to reach the hallway another miner was working on at the time, I believe (the only way to reach it was going up one ramp and then traveling to another "down" one) Not only was he failing to recognize one of the ramps that was  right in front of him, but trying to make a down stairway (these seem to be a lot less buggy)created this paradox:

I guess these rocks are located in another dimension.

EDIT: Trying to make them build it causes immediate suspension. The game is slowing to a crawl because the miner can't get to a drink.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Gaulgath ]

Shujaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Objects at Negative Distance?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

I had a similar incident once, not sure what caused it. It was again a rock that was at negative distance from the workshop I had ordered to be built. I tried to use it to see what would happen, and the dwarf involved just oscillated between a nearby upward staircase and its adjacent downward staircase, until I cancelled the building. So I'm guessing it may be related to z-level pathing.

When I ordered the building to be constructed again, I didn't have the problem.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Shujaa ]

Morkilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »

I had this occur even when available rock was immediately on the tiles where I was going to build the mason's workshop. It was immediately suspended with no excuse for the suspension. I cancelled and rebuilt it somewhere else with no problem.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »

Yeah I've seen that while digging in the frozen river, and trying to build a wall.  Water came up as a building material with a negative number, from the ice boulder sitting there.