Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cross Edge - Collaborative tactical/TBS JRPG (has anyone heard of this?)  (Read 1115 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was looking for a grindy build-your-character(s)-to-ridiculous-proportions RPG type game (like Disgaea/ZHP/most other NIS games, but hopefully free) and stumbled across Cross Edge. Apparently, (to quote Amazon) "Cross Edge is the result of an unprecedented collaboration between five major Japanese game publishers." It was put together by Nippon Ichi Software, Capcom, Namco Bandai, Gust, and Idea Factory. To steal some more from the Amazon summary, here are their bullet points, with the ones I especially like bolded for emphasis:

* Change costumes to increase character's stats and abilities, and in some cases "revealing" cut scenes.
    * Features characters and storylines from popular franchises including: Darkstalkers, Disgaea, Mana Khemia, and Spectral Souls.
    * Combines classic RPG combat with a grid-based Strategy RPG combat to create a hybrid battle system.

* In combat, some units can toss up enemies and chain combo various moves for extra damage, like in a fighting game.
    * Cross Edge is bilingual. Players have the option to choose between English or Japanese voiceovers.

So has anyone actually played this? It sounds like it would scratch that itch pretty well and I'm a fan of most of the publishers who participated, but I've heard absolutely nothing about it before now. There's a (long) review on Amazon that seems to do a pretty good job describing the game systems, so (to steal from that site one last time):

It looks like it takes a bit of the battle system and leveling/customization from the NIS games, item synthesis from the Atelier series, and probably other stuff from other games I haven't really played. Seems to be a pretty neat concept, I just don't really know how well it was executed. I'll probably go see if anyone's done an LP somewhere. Anyway, I just figured I'd ask if anyone had seen it since I'd seen some interest in the tactical/TBS type RPGs of late.

I'm still looking for a free game like that if anyone finds/knows of one, by the way.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:04:55 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Edge - Collaborative tactical/TBS JRPG (has anyone heard of this?)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:31:07 pm »

whoops wrong button.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:37:35 pm »

well the game certainly has a lot of characters from other games.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:23:54 am »

I played Cross Edge for a bit as a rental, but returned it somewhat early because I just wasn't in a grindy mood. My memory of it is also a bit lacking, so that being said, take my comments with a grain of salt.

As you may have already read, the battles play out in a grid, I believe something like three blocks wide and four blocks long. You position your party in a certain space depending on their attack range, so certain characters belong on certain columns. Aside from that, there's virtually no movement involved (that I remember!) so it isn't really a SRPG in the vein of Disgaea etc. I think you use something like an AP system, with certain attacks using a specific amount, so battles are mostly about linking attacks into a combination.

Outside of battles you move around on the world map progressing through the game, random encounters seemed like they were pretty high frequency. There was some sort of item crafting system, but I don't recall what it was like in the least. There's plenty of opportunity for grinding, maybe not Disgaea-esque in length but a reasonable amount nonetheless.

I would say the game is worth a try, assuming you have an idea of what you're getting into and know what you enjoy. I could use a good SRPG right about now myself, but the chances of finding something for the PC are about zero.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:05:56 am »

Cool, thanks for the info.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:22 am »

Can't say I like the grinding, far far less tolerable to that in my Tactical/TBS these days.

At the least, Tactics Ogre for the PSP does away with the grinding for me.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation