Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unarmed Combat  (Read 1157 times)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Unarmed Combat
« on: September 24, 2010, 06:42:32 pm »

I was planning to make an unarmed adventurer that uses improvised weapons as well in the vein of Rorschach or Batman.

So I was wondering, I know that it's not an easy path, or a viable path, but is it even possible to not die instantly when not using a shield or a weapon?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unarmed Combat
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:30:10 pm »

Until you at least get fully covering clothes (which you don't get if you start with the most skill in some form of unarmed combat), you're at risk of getting serious injuries even from attacks by weak enemies. I actually had a wrestler get killed less than an hour in by having her throat torn open by a chimpanzee even as she was strangling it to death.

Stealth, thrown items (weapons, bolts, and rocks sharpened with knapping being probably the most effect readily available ones), and how to attack prone enemies are very important tactics.
Unfortunately, .12 has a bug where enemies with pathfind toward or away from you even if you're in hiding and .13 has a different bug where items thrown while in hiding keep going past everything until they hit the ground.

Against foes with melee weapons, attack with thrown items until they are killed or pass out from the pain and you can go in for the head crush "pinch" (remember you need to grab with a part with a hand to pinch, and thus have one free).
Foes with ranged weapons you'll want to sneak up to and disarm with wrestling (grab their weapon, gain control of it, then either put it into you inventory or throw it far away) then proceed as if facing a melee foe. Depending on your speed and ambushing skill, you may want to just avoid them entirely by running for cover and hiding.
Foes that are immune to pain or otherwise hard to disable you may wish to avoid until you're properly armored and very skilled.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:49:39 pm by Knigel »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 11:12:03 pm »

As Knigel said, you're gonna' have to really rely on various things from throwing stuff to breaking bones to effectively take out opponents because even with max stats it won't always be easy. Especially regarding larger opponents that can't be grappled easy...misc objects themselves aren't the most efficient, either thrown or smacked with, unless they're fairly large.

Actually from your thread title...I was expecting you to want to be able to do this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But alas...that's near impossible too with vanilla races right now.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 06:40:07 am »

Thanks, guys, that helped alot!  :D

I was fighting with a few crossbow wielding priests and managed to disarm them, I was doing pretty well until reinforcements came and beat me to death.

I'll try it again, because it sure is FUN to fight people unarmed!

I'm gonna remember all the advice for when alot of adventure mode things are fixed/put in.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:39:54 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:32:41 pm by Bronimin »