Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Race Project: Tigermen  (Read 900 times)

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Race Project: Tigermen
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:12:24 pm »

Hello. New to these forums and the game, but am trying to start my first modding project for Dwarf Fortress, adding Tigermen as a major, unique, playable civilization beside the Dwarves, Humans, Elves, Goblins, and Cutebolds.

Essentially I'm wanting to create a warrior race composed of members tough and strong enough to not need the numbers of Kobolds nor elaborate deathtrap forces of the Dwarves. To this end, I want to make it so they get Unhappy Thoughts for going underground (for any reason), don't get an Unhappy thought for sleeping above ground without a bed, and their youth will spar with each other. They send their caravans in Winter.

... I'm going to need a lot of help with this.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Race Project: Tigermen
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »

Well... this is an interesting bug.

I got the basics of the race made. But for some stupid reason, in WorldGen, it's the Cave Crocodiles that are developing the civilization, not my badass Spartan Tiger Men! WTF? They are neither sentient, possessing opposable thumbs, or even the [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]/[ADVENTURE_TIER] or [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tags. Can I get some help explaining this?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:27:01 pm »

Sounds like you've got a duplicate somewhere, those can make for really interesting bugs.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:28:11 pm »

Duplicate of what?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:33:36 pm »

Duplicate of what?

You may have a duplicate creature raw or some other raw somewhere. It could be a whole file duplicated at once or one small entry.

Also, I've heard that if you have the text file open in word or some other word proccessor at the same time you have the game running, it can make the game think the ghost save (I forget what its called) is an actual file.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 01:23:17 pm »

This sounds cool.

Would it be possible to allow the tiger men to eat raw corpses? Fresh after a kill? Well, I guess it would be pretty unrealistic for one tiger man to eat an entire elephant corpse...
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:38:14 pm »

I'm not sure how to do that... I can't figure out how to get my alpha version of these guys to hunt.

I'm going to have to enforce law on them, though... Right now, they are complete sociopaths with no qualms about killing each other (It's not a crime)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 12:41:16 pm »

Did you make your tigermen yourself?

You do know that there's tigermen already, right? It might be that you missed them and made a duplicate tigerman creature.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 12:44:29 pm »

I'm not sure how to do that... I can't figure out how to get my alpha version of these guys to hunt.

Assuming that they are actually set up as a race properly, make sure they have PERMITTED_JOB:HUNTER in their entity entry. If it's already there, there's no reason why hunting should be unavailable.