Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shrugger's Ocean Fort: Questions  (Read 2205 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shrugger's Ocean Fort: Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 09:36:59 am »

Well...I have 6 1x7 tile fields, farming all underground crops in equal numbers during the year. And two growers. Is that going to be any good?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 10:21:13 am »

Crap. Crapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

I just noticed - after a year into this fortress! - that I don't have an anvil. I didn't bother with heavy industry yet due to a lack of fuel, but now that I've got enough...crap! I forgot to bring an anvil. And there's no caravans coming either. Halp plox?  :'(

So, Edit: There's no Caravans come in within the entire first year, and a total of two and a half migrants came. Terrifying biome is at fault for the low migrant numbers, I suppose, but is turning off the merchants, too? Or is that simply my lack of (17k) wealth?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:36:51 am by Shrugging Khan »
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 10:38:58 am »

That's kind of a bad sign.  Hit "c" and look at your parent civ, if it has no important leaders then your civilization is basically dead.  If you're not getting a dwarf caravan and you don't have an anvil, then you will NEVER be able to make anything out of metal, although you can certainly pick up all the crap the goblins will bring you.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 10:43:16 am »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....!
No important leaders. I am so not happy with this.  >:(

But thanks for the tip. Gonna gen a new world...goodbye, my supposedly-perfect embark site!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 10:44:19 am »

It is useful to check if you can start a dwarf character in Adventurer mode before embarking, but really the only way to know this for sure is either look through world history (a pain) or embark and check the "c"ivilizations screen (sometimes heartbreaking).

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 10:48:01 am »

I did check, but at embark time it only had an entry for the Ant-Men. That led me to the conclusion that in this version, I'd only have entries for civilisations that actually sent traders or sieges already.

So while we're talking about that one: If pre-embark, the tab-screen told be there's be contact and trade with a civ, but there's no entry in the c-screen for a civ post-embark, what does it mean?

Edit: It's kind of a big deal for me to have all four types of civilisations around and active. Not happy otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:49:53 am by Shrugging Khan »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 11:37:23 am »

After embarking, you don't see civilizations in the report until you have contact with them except for dwarves, which you always see - for elves and humans, this means caravans; for kobolds and goblins, the contact is generally less friendly.
more clearly: check both, before embarking and after embarking.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 11:42:11 am »

Thing is, last time I embarked I didn't even see the dwarves...at least not until some migrants came around (and then it was all "no important leaders").

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 11:53:04 am »

When I embark I can always see dwarves on the civ report, but then I try to make sure I have a living dwarf culture before embarking - if you don't then I'd take that as a bad sign.

By the way if you hit "R" (rooms report) right after embarking, you know right away whether you have happy friendly neighbors below ("upright adamantine [weapontype]")
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:54:37 am by FleshForge »

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 09:33:52 pm »

Ah, I always tried that trick with the stocks screen. No surprise it didn't work  :D

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 10:00:05 pm »

But thanks for the tip. Gonna gen a new world...goodbye, my supposedly-perfect embark site!

Actually you can gen the same world with another history seed.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 10:37:04 pm »

That's a fairly ingenious idea. I'll see whether its compatible with my PerfectWorldDF-created worldgen. Thanks!  :D

Pages: 1 [2]