Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally Joined, Plus a Question  (Read 510 times)

Leot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Finally Joined, Plus a Question
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:51:54 pm »

Toughest game to learn ever, but by far one of the best.

I understand that v 03.31.14 has just come out so I have a couple of questions. The graphics packs from both Phoebius and Ironhand... will they work with the new version (assuming that they worked for .13)?

Secondly how does one manually install these? I haven't been able to find information on the wiki or the forums.

Thirdly... is there a way to combine the tile sets of one graphics patch with the icons of the next? Ironhand's trees and rocks and ground with Phoebius' dwarves?

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Finally Joined, Plus a Question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:05:10 pm »

I'll take these slightly out of order...

I understand that v 03.31.14 has just come out so I have a couple of questions. The graphics packs from both Phoebius and Ironhand... will they work with the new version (assuming that they worked for .13)?
Yes. Hell, I've been using the same graphics set and tileset for about 3 years now.

Thirdly... is there a way to combine the tile sets of one graphics patch with the icons of the next? Ironhand's trees and rocks and ground with Phoebius' dwarves?
Here you're risking getting mixed up (or confusing other people :P). There are two separate things - graphics sets have the images for dwarves, elves, humans and all the other living creatures that someone's taken the time to draw little pictures for, and tilesets have the other stuff (letters, symbols for trees and bins and bones and stuff)
To answer your question, yes, these two can be combined because they're not of the same type - "Ironhand's trees and rocks and ground" are a tileset while "Phoebius' dwarves" are a graphics set.

Secondly how does one manually install these? I haven't been able to find information on the wiki or the forums.
I'll assume you've already downloaded the stuff you're after.

Graphics set:
Open up your DF folder. Open the "raw" folder, then the "graphics" folder.
There'll be a text file called graphics_example.txt and a folder with the same name. You can either delete the file and folder (the 'easy' option) or you can open the text file, delete the first line of text in that file and save the file (the 'hard' option, but it's almost as easy and takes all of about three seconds :D)
Your downloaded graphics set should contain images and a text file (possibly multiple images and/or text files). Copy and paste the set in here, so the text file(s) are in the same folder as graphics_example.txt is/was.

Tileset:
Open up your DF folder. Open the "data" folder, then the "art" folder.
Copy and paste the tileset in there (it's just an image and nothing more). Remember the name of the file for later (for explanation, I'm going to assume it's called ironhand_16x16.png)

Getting them working:
Open up your DF folder. Open the "data" folder, then the "init" folder.
Open the init.txt file.
Scroll down in that file until you find the line "[GRAPHICS:NO]", and change that to "[GRAPHICS:YES]"
A few lines down from that will be the line "[GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_square_16x16.png]" - change that to "[GRAPHICS_FONT:ironhand_16x16.png]" (or whatever the name of your tileset file was)
Make a similar edit to the FULLFONT line a few below that.
Save the file.

Go back to the main DF folder, run DF and (if everything's worked out fine) enjoy the graphical goodness :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Leot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Finally Joined, Plus a Question
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:17:10 pm »

Woo! Thank you! .14 here I come.