Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military  (Read 774 times)

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:59:28 am »

So far I use squads of 3 to increase training, and I'm building a panic room. But I don't know how to manage my military properly.

My military dwarves get unhappy about long patrol duties. How long should I keep them active before deactivating them? I noticed they train (sometimes) when inactive. What should I keep in the barracks? I put 3 beds per barracks (each squad has its own), but there's armor and weapons everywhere. Do they need cabinets and coffers?

Under the military > schedule menu I set orders for each squad to train year round, and reduced the training minimum to 3.

What else should I be doing?
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:01:13 am »

So far I use squads of 3

My military dwarves get unhappy about long patrol duties.

I set orders for each squad to train year round, and reduced the training minimum to 3.

... well, yeah, no wonder.  Give them a month off now and then.  And set the required number of soldiers to 2, not 3, so that one of them can take a break for booze, breakfast or bed once in a while.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:13:35 am »

one tip for building a panic room, make your barracks designater (armor stand, bed, etc)in a little cubby hole of its own, cover it with a door, and set that door to internal AND forbidden
basically, the point of this is to make sure that none of your dwarves are standing on the bed instead of the spikes, : P yeah something that I figured out after making several danger rooms was that the dwarves tended to stand on the one square that wasn't covered by bloody spikes
    ____
   |SSSS|
   |SSSS|
BDSSSS|
   |SSSSD
    ------ |
B - bed, armor stand, weapon rack, etc
D - Door
| or - - Walls
S - Spikes
The door on the far left should be set to forbidden and internal

in any case, I'm pretty sure legendary dwarves don't complain about long service, cause I've had my 4 squads of 10 basically permamnently on patrol (9 min), and all of them are ecstatic, and legendary and the only one who seems to complain is the one dwarf that I can't be bothered retraining cause the guy whos position he took died
and tbh, if you're setting up a panic room, the whole 3 per squad is pointless
3 per squad is only useful if panic room feels like cheating to you =]
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:12:26 am »

I leave mine active nonstop.

I do think they get the initial "upset/angered/enraged" thought, however it gets pushed off with time and disappears and only pops back up during long station orders and if i ever deactivate them to get stupid owned clothes picked up.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:25:09 am »

If you don't have a high ranking noble to keep happy like a Baron, then you should give all your military Dwarves royal bedrooms. This will help keep them happy, allowing more time for training. I'd suggest carving out bedrooms for each soldier next to their respective barracks, smooth it all out and furnish it with the most expensive furniture you can make.