Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too many caged goblins  (Read 1290 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many caged goblins
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 04:01:38 am »

After fighting with linking to levers and other silliness, i found a really easy way to do this.

Make two animal stockpiles, set one to only accept empty cages and the other to only accept filled cages. Right in the center of the filled cage stocpile channel out a hole in the floor. You can either  put an "arena" on the floor below and keep your military there to kill prisoners, or channel down 15 z levels and kill them with fall damage. Either way, use i to set a "Pit/Pond" zone over the hole.

Once you've done that, wait until all your caged goblins are on the right stockpile, then go the the pit/pond zone with i and hit P, then have all your goblins dumped into the hole. A bunch of dwarves will come over, grab goblins, and drag them over and throw them in.

Few warnings for this method:

#1: Do not do this this way with thieves or wild animals. Both of these will ignore "prisoner" status and kill the dwarf that releases them and run off. You can instead station your military near the cages, THEN have them thrown in the pit, the dwarf will release them and your military will instantly jump on them before they can do any harm. This does not apply to animals that attack during a siege, whether they are trained, tame, or considered wild. As long as they have "Caged Prisoner" status, they will blindly follow your dwarves to the pit and get thrown in.

#2: Do not throw 50 goblins in with an inexperienced military, they will get overwhelmed and die even if you disarm them(d-b-d, mass dump the goblin cages, then exit that and hit k, and un-dump each cage. Bonus points if you go into the stocks screen and un-dump the goblins' armor, but leave the weapons dumped). It's fine for legendary warriors to kill armed goblins, but if you had those the goblins wouldn't be in your cage traps anyway, right?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FrozenViolet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 08:49:09 am »

Last night I rounded up about 50 goblins that were in wooden cages and dragged them into a nice room right next to a magma sea. After sending a miner to dig out a section of the wall, I was greeted with the beautiful smell of roast goblin, troll and jabberer. Thank you for this most satisfying suggestion :)

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 09:52:13 am »

Dwarven Skeet Shooting...
  • Dump the gobbos equipment.
  • Build a magma dump with a ramp out
  • Station your military down the hallway from the magma dump
  • Throw the gobbo cages into the dump
  • Some gobbos will escape and run burning into your military
  • Skeet shooting is fun!
Check out my webcomic at epicgotime.com

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 05:24:51 pm »

So I have a wonderful game where we are repelling sieges left and right. Sadly, i have tons of cage traps and they keep storing loads of goblins down in my storage area. So i have like 50 goblins in there. I know you can claim their stuff and kill them by setting up a cage to a lever, but this is very tedious. Is there anyway to get rid of all these cages at once? I think it is probably killing my FPS having all these caged gobbies.

Any help would be appreciated!

Why is it tedious? Unarmed goblins have practically no chance of injuring a fully armored dwarf. Add all of the goblins to one jail, dump over it, link 1 lever, lock the area, send in 1 dwarf. 50 goblins is not a lot. Really.

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 08:37:22 pm »

WTF dont even use cage traps just use weapon traps and fortify the walls on either side so that your crossbow-dwarfs can shoot them as they are being sliced and diced or even put a dwarf down the hall shooting at them but have him positioned so he doesnt move and if a bolt misses a goby it will hit the next in line.

Icarosaurvus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 09:36:09 pm »

Just dump them all.
Don't bother with the fancy stuff, make a micro dump (A.I. a 1 tile dump), and dump them all in it.
Dwarven philosophers wonder not the meaning of life, for the meaning of life is to mine.
Rather, they ponder over the meaning of soap, a riddle no dwarf has yet found the answer to.
Pages: 1 [2]