Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sudden Crash to Desktop  (Read 1065 times)

unclejam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sudden Crash to Desktop
« on: November 02, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

I'm not too sure, but I believe when the game was transitioning from winter to spring or near there (it was late winter) the game crashed.  I had built an ice wall on the frozen brook.  The wall didn't touch any soil and was completely surrounded on all sides by brook.  It could have been something completely different of course, but I have a feeling...

On a replay I did not build the ice wall and the game still crashed at the same time, after spring had arrived and before the waters were unfrozen  :(

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: unclejam ]

unclejam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden Crash to Desktop
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

When I ran it in fullscreen mode the crash did not happen.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

Anyone else been having crash to desktop (no error message)?  It's happened 3 times now today... it might be my computer but I wanted to see if anyone else had the same thing happening.  This map has been good about not locking up, but the FPS is getting low, and its run a little slower than my last fort.  I noticed it more after pumping an artificial pond between some walls outside.

Reality_Unknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

Yes im having lots of crashes, on my vista computer, the school computer runs xp and i made a new world there, it also crashes, and i will see if my laptop crashes too, the only thing in common i can tell is that it takes 2 or 3 years for the crashe to happen but get more frequent as time goes on, i start saving more frequently because of this but some i only get a little farther usually,  this is game breaking for me unless i can autosave like 10 times a month instead of monthly.   please help me toady! i donated moneys! (anonymously)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 01:41:00 am »

Yeah I guess I'm 2 years in, it happened before and after my latest set of migrants.  I also get blue screens on my computer, I'm running memtest now but nothing turned up... rootkit revealer also didn't find anything.

My machine is Athlon X2 64bit running 32-bit windows 2003.  I've gotten blue screens in other games, so I'm not sure I can blame DF, but it's been happening a lot more than usual with DF, seems the further i get the more I crash.  Sometimes I crash to desktop sometimes blue screen.

Reality_Unknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 03:13:00 am »

well i found out what mine was i think, having somone sew pig tail image was making me crash, thanks to the other guy in a nother thread for telling me what it was.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

I never did decoration jobs, but I've got some cloth bags I made.  My comp passed memtest 10 times overnight, I've adjusted my ram timings to be a little lower and I'll get some more playtime in tonight to see if that helped.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

I've had one random crash to desktop since I lowered my RAM timings.  I was within specs before, so now I'm basically underclocking.  I'm gonna chalk it up to a hardware problem, since the number of crashes is way down, but I haven't ruled out DF either  :(