Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tropical Fishing [38c]  (Read 1267 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tropical Fishing [38c]
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:10:00 am »

I've had several ocean forts recently, ranging from arctic to temperate to tropical.
I've noted that my Fisherdwarfs in the temperate and arctic oceans seem to drag in vast varieties of fish, which is nice and gives my dwarves a diverse palette. I've noted, however, that in the tropics, my fisherdwarves will *never* catch anything other than mussels, oysters, and bat rays.
Taking a look through the raws I note that all the fish have [FISHITEM] after them, and I can purchase their meat from the caravan. but I've noted that not all the fish have [VERMIN_FISH] and that this corresponds directly with the fish I can and cannot catch, the ones I can being [VERMIN_FISH].

So my question is this: Is this intentional and these fish aren't meant to be caught, or is this a minor bug? I'm putting this here in Bug Reports under the assumption of the latter and my failure to find mention of it in bug report forums or in the reported bugs list.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical Fishing [38c]
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:52:00 am »

They might be the kind of fish that kills dwarfs? Will check myself.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 02:55:00 am »

No, I'm talking Glasseyes, Puffers, Thornback rays, etc. etc.
Creatures found in Small_Ocean, not Large_Ocean

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:56:00 am »

Seems like they are not that kind of fish. Maybe Toady made it that way cause those fish are only found in the deep ocean. And that only the other races can get them with fishing boats?(even tho there are no boats)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

I think I left the tag off some that were too small to make sense as a food item (but that you'd still be able to see swimming around for the non-eating sort of flavor), or if I found no reference to it being eaten.  I could change some around if I should.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I think I left the tag off some that were too small to make sense as a food item (but that you'd still be able to see swimming around for the non-eating sort of flavor), or if I found no reference to it being eaten.  I could change some around if I should.</STRONG>

Are there fish which aren't eaten because they're too small? People eat everything from really really tiny shrimp up to whales.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »

Doing a little additional research, the only ones that jump out at me as non-fishable that are regularly eaten in the modern world are flounder and mackerel.

This of course doesn't address the lack of tropical fishing variety, but at this point that becomes a request\suggestion and has no claim of being a bug.

DDouble: It's an interesting argument to consider; literally speaking, there aren't that many fish that you really can't eat. From a practical perspective, there are many fish that we don't eat because they don't taste good or are difficult to catch or often both. As for the size, I would interpret the comment less as 'people don't eat small fish' so much as 'the current system of foodstuffs would mean that, if tadpoles are fishable, 5 tadpoles will feed as many people as 5 salmon. Therefore tadpoles are too small to be considered fishable in the current DF engine.'

So it seems this wasn't a bug, but it was good to get an answer to the question. Thank you everyone for your time!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

The book I used for the first pass on fish had some holes in it as far as variety.  I probably won't get back to fish until I do a first pass on each of the non-fish classes.

And yeah, the fish marked as too small just wouldn't be a complete meal, as far as I could tell.  Later they'll make good ingredients for recipes (as is the goal with booze).  I went ahead and added the tag to mackerel and flounder.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!