Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windmill Issue  (Read 659 times)

Sines314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windmill Issue
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:21:37 pm »

So, I'm having issues with my windmills. I tried a search, but to no avail. The problem is is that they just don't seem to be working. Having little flat ground to work with, I dug out a plateau (and everything above it) to have a flat level to build them on, and right below is all of the gear assemblies, connected by the axels to get them to transfer power to my pump stack. The problem I have is that several of my windmills just stopped working. They use to, but now they don't. And indeed, some of the windmills ARE still working. They are all outside, so I'm not sure why this might be. Any ideas?

EDIT: As far as I can tell, some of them are connected to the power system, but some aren't, and those count as inactive because the power needed outweighs the power given (As they have to support the unconnected gear assemblies). But I'm not sure why they're not being counted, the gears are right below the center tile, and I believe I don't have to channel out the square either.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:26:37 pm by Sines314 »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Windmill Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:31:16 pm »

You absolutely do need to channel out the center tile beneath the windmill - power cannot be transmitted through a solid floor.

The fact that it's possible to occasionally transfer power through a solid floor is a bug.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sines314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:39:26 pm »

Ah, okies. I'll dissasemble then. But on the issue of mining, has anyone else been having trouble with the AIs mining responsibilities? They'll leave things I've been wanting mined out for ages. There's some designated mining areas that have been left alone for at least a full game year by now... I'm still on .12, btw.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »

Ah, okies. I'll dissasemble then. But on the issue of mining, has anyone else been having trouble with the AIs mining responsibilities? They'll leave things I've been wanting mined out for ages. There's some designated mining areas that have been left alone for at least a full game year by now... I'm still on .12, btw.

Your telling them to mine to much, focus on one project at a time, until you cna get more miners.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:47:50 pm »

They also like to go for assignments starting at the North-west of the map independent of Z-level, so south-eastern projects anywhere will always be dead-last on their to-do list.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Sines314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:07:49 pm »

Fair enough, but sometimes I'll get half of them reporting as 'no job'. But I guess I'll turn down the assignments, see what happens...

Sines314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:01:24 pm »

A somewhat unrelated pair of questions in this same topic in order to avoid clogging up the main page. Are underwater lakes considered to be sourced if they have an edge touching the edge of the map? And can you prevent mushroom trees from growing on muddied rock by smoothing the stone over? I'd hate to have to clear a blockage like that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:45:09 pm by Sines314 »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:15:38 pm »

A somewhat unrelated pair of questions in this same topic in order to avoid clogging up the main page. Are underwater lakes considered to be sourced if they have an edge touching the edge of the map? And can you prevent mushroom trees from growing on muddied rock by smoothing the stone over? I'd hate to have to clear a blockage like that.

1. Yes.
2. No - you'll need to construct a bunch of floor tiles (haven't tried this myself) or build a paved road (my preferred method). Alternatively, you can place a null stockpile over the area and it'll prevent any young trees from growing to full size.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 12:44:05 am »

You DO NOT need to dig out the center tile for your windmill IF you build the connecting mechanic after the windmill has been installed. Rather than pulling down your mills pull the gear under it and then put it back.

Sines314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:55:49 am »

Thanks for the help people. I will now see if I can succesfully construct a perpetual motion machine. It will be used to power the waterfall in the dining room.