Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: perma-cluttered Butchery  (Read 743 times)

clem131

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
perma-cluttered Butchery
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:32:50 am »

My butchery keeps producing miasma and is perma-cluttered. I have two kitchens cooking stuff 24/7, an accessible refuse pile, an accessible zone designated garbage dump, a tanner working correctly, and dwarves for hauling are available. Should I create specific custom stockpiles for bones or body parts?

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: perma-cluttered Butchery
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:04:38 am »

You should put the butcher's shop outside. So much garbage is generated that it won't fit on your refuse pile anyway, and hauling it away would take a long time. You can dump the parts and atomsmash them, but that would require some micromanagement. I usually don't care about clutter.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:08:53 am »

#1: Make sure dwarves are told to be gathering refuse, start by going to the (o)rders menu, then (r)efuse.

If that is set on,

#2: If you have channeled out the ceiling to make it "above ground" and therefore produce no miasma(most likely not since you mentioned having it)you have to make sure "Gather refuse from outside" is set to on, since it is considered "outside"

#3: Make sure Corpses and other, are all set to be dumped, otherwise they will be saved, and rot. They still shouldn't be ignored like that even if they are saved, however the products of butchering livestock that are under "corpses" and "other" are totally useless. Skulls are also mostly useless, however they can be used to give a bone carver some practice making totems.

Also more refuse stockpiles won't do any good, even if you specify certain parts.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:14:02 am »

The garbage dump zone will only be used to Dump items marked for dumping. So unless you mark your things for dumping it won't be used. Is the refuse stockpile full, perhaps? I'm not very familiar with butchering in the newer versions. And which stuff is carried off to the refuse stockpile and which ones aren't. If it's empty you might want to check if it accepts any of the stuff in the butchery.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:48:15 am »

My last .12 fort had an indoor refuse stockpile and I just made a diagnal entrance because miasma only moves up/down and left/right.

clem131

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:17:48 am »

#3: Make sure Corpses and other, are all set to be dumped, otherwise they will be saved, and rot. They still shouldn't be ignored like that even if they are saved, however the products of butchering livestock that are under "corpses" and "other" are totally useless. Skulls are also mostly useless, however they can be used to give a bone carver some practice making totems.

This was the problem. I tought corpses were still used to extract useful things like bones. Thanks

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 11:14:09 am »

Sentient creature's corpses and rotten corpses are completely useless.

clem131

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 03:54:53 pm »

Well, they leave a skeleton behind and I read somewhere that you can make elven bones crafts so...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »

Well, they leave a skeleton behind and I read somewhere that you can make elven bones crafts so...

They will never, ever rot. Not even after decades.

Unless you have modded your civ ethics to allow butchering of sentients you will never turn an elf skeleton into elf bones.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 05:59:40 pm »

Yeah, back in 40d this was easy as there were no 'skeleton' objects. We got to bones straight away. Now, there's this ethics thing getting in the way with skeletons. If you can get bones, they can be used but you can't get them from skeletons without modding and regen'ing the world. Your best bet is to try and lop off as many limbs as possible - as far as I know they decay to bones fine.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.