Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new player noble qestion  (Read 875 times)

premetheas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
new player noble qestion
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:11:33 pm »

OK so ummm (cough) nobles suck(cough) anyway.  I took the time to make sure I had a dwarf with some very easy likes before making that dwarf a baron.  How I failed to see puzzle boxes in that list I will never know. can I make puzzle boxes at all cuss no matter how many times I order toys to be made none are puzzle boxes. 

And where can I find a list of all non-fulfill-able Items that your barons or nobles may mandate so I can better plan this out in the future

oh and I am playing 31.12

and if need be I have my bad Fun switch ready to go in case the puzzle box thing can't be fixed.
We need Metal Slimes as pets in DF.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: new player noble qestion
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:20:56 pm »

Non-fulfillable mandates - slade items. That's the only one. Some of the more obscure metals may count too, but only if you can't get them or the materials for them.

Just set toys on repeat. There will be puzzleboxes eventually.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:22:29 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:37:18 pm »

Actually, puzzleboxes and drums are 100% impossible to make - they're only permitted to be made from soft materials, and no soft materials (except possibly adamantine) can be made into toys or instruments. It's already been reported on the bug tracker (#3120).

Edit data/save/regionN/raw/objects/item_toy.txt and add "[HARD_MAT]" to the puzzlebox entry (and the same for drums in item_instrument.txt) and you should be able to make them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:39:52 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »

The only non-fulfillable items i can think of are metal beds, crystal glass, and Slade items.

The rest can be a serious pain,  but you can get any metals from the caravan. I'm not sure if cutting raw crystal glass you get from the caravan counts as crystal glass items or not, however i wouldn't risk it.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

premetheas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »

The rest can be a serious pain,  but you can get any metals from the caravan. I'm not sure if cutting raw crystal glass you get from the caravan counts as crystal glass items or not, however i wouldn't risk it.

already did the glass crystal thing.  When an old fortress noble asked for crystal items cutting foreign crystal worked for me.  always keep at least 30 on hand for it. 

Actually, puzzleboxes and drums are 100% impossible to make - they're only permitted to be made from soft materials, and no soft materials (except possibly adamantine) can be made into toys or instruments. It's already been reported on the bug tracker (#3120).

Edit data/save/regionN/raw/objects/item_toy.txt and add "[HARD_MAT]" to the puzzlebox entry (and the same for drums in item_instrument.txt) and you should be able to make them.

yay raw editing first time at it here is hoping I dun rimjob my comp.

thanks for help so far guys def gonna get this done now so I dun get my strander put in jail for another 101 days
We need Metal Slimes as pets in DF.

Diavolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 02:45:46 am »

I would buy the puzzlebox from a caravan. They always seem to bring a lot of those.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:05:36 am »

Buying things from a caravan doesn't satisfy a noble's demand.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 04:16:47 pm »

Decorating "acquired" items makes them yours.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."