Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So...Plastic model kits?  (Read 1499 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So...Plastic model kits?
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:34:14 pm »

They're pretty cool. Anyone here mess with them?

My sister's imported and worked on a few Gundams and I recently acquired one myself. This one if anyone cares.
I noticed that the base plastic colour doesn't really seem to match the pictures, so I was kinda considering painting the whole thing. Anyone know any tips/tricks for painting? I have access to an airbrush but no clue how to use it.

I'm also curious if there's any way to match up the Gundam paints it recommends in the instructions with other paint brands I could actually buy here.  :-\

Feel free to use this thread to show off your own creations too.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So...Plastic model kits?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:35:51 pm »

They still have these? They stopped selling them where I live like ten years ago. They were so awesome.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:40:06 pm »

Bought a Gundam models maybe 5 years ago. I'd recommend testing with several paints on a small part of the model. Depending on the exact plastic they used and what they used to seal it, some paints won't stick to those figs at all. Like latex-based paints sold for table top wargaming. I think acrylics are a safe bet though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:48 pm »

building a kamov ka-52. But is kind of stalled (been in dev. hell for two years or so)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:04:45 pm »

I don't do so much anime themed models (I've developed a strong distaste for almost all anime), but I do stick together alot of WH40k and general, more traditional models like WW2 ships, boats and planes. Painting them all takes a while however. I have about 3 years worth of painting backed up at the moment. I paint slowly and infrequently, but at least I'm good at it. I don't use airbrushing or anything unless it's to make the basecoat (in which case you just apply a uniform coat of matt paint), all the rest is done by hand with a brush that's usually the size of a large pin.

Gotta get me one of those hyper-detailed sailboat models for a new challenge. Y'know, like a $1000 HMS Victory or something.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:55:20 pm »

I have well over a thousand dollar's worth of Warhammer stuff by now. Most of it is in storage overseas. Now I'm addicted to things which are free instead!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:45:25 am »

I've built this and that; Most recently I built a load of 40k Space Hulk miniatures, but am yet to paint them.

While on this topic it seems only right to mention that my Dad is an award winning miniature artist. His body of work is comprised mostly of historical pieces and of that it's mostly Vietnam war themed. He takes photos and recreates them or bases pieces on multiple photos. He took over 10 years collecting photos for one piece just so he could get the interior completely accurate. For fun he does some 40k but uses a completely different painting style; The local GamesWorkshop paid him to paint up a full sized Space Marine helmet a few years back. He scratch builds loads; I have a scratch built Sláine miniature on top of my monitor. I only mention all this because I grew up going to shows / competitions. He likes to brag that if one of his pieces didn't get first or second place it was because other models he entered already won those awards.

As for the mech stuff a friend of mine is obsessed with them and has filled his living room. It's neat when I go over for a weekend and see all the new ones he's collected.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:33:01 am »

pics, perchance?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:00:17 pm »

He had all the competition stuff professionally photographed. He has a handful of albums and all the negatives, unfortunately this was before digital cameras were the norm so I'll have to nab an album and take it somewhere with a scanner. I tried to find the article on him in the Bath Chronicle but no luck.

Does anybody know a good way to turn negatives into reasonable quality digital images or perhaps the best method for scanning glossy photos?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 12:08:45 pm »

Coincidence I came across this thread. I just now watched an episode of James May's Toy Stories where he built a 1:1 scale Spitfire aircraft. Probably one of the more awesome episodes of it I've watched.

I think the only model kits I've actually worked on and finished has to be an A-10 Warthog (glue required) and a Tachikoma with moving parts (no glue), but of course, they fell apart over time (and I lost the parts); and one unfinished model Star Destroyer I was working on with my dad with fiber-optic lighting and everything. What stopped us from finishing was that we lacked a soldering gun to mount the electronics together so it can light up. Not to forget, we also would've had to mount all the little fibers into each tiny hole on the model too.

I think he still has it. I wonder if I can finish it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:15:00 pm by Itnetlolor »