Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deadly Migrants  (Read 1563 times)

Johnla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Deadly Migrants
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:01:49 am »

Hi
Being a relatively new player I was a bit surprised and the contents of my first migrant wave being nothing like those of my previous forts. It consisted of one dwarf who was a legendary blowgunner, high master dodger, high master armour user and another who was a legendary lasher. First off is this normal? And also what should I do with them seeing as although they decided to take a collection of armour with them they forgot their weapons which their famed for. Should I wait until a goblin encounter and hopefully take a whip off them, and do they use blowguns? Or should I train them in more conventional weapons and take use of just their capacity for wearing armour? On a side note I also got a 'Master Thief' in the wave who seems to like waiting at the side of the map which isn’t particularly safe in a terrifying biome.
Thanks
John

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deadly Migrants
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:13:15 am »

As far as I know , which is not much I can sadly say, but I think you can get all kinds of dwarfs with abilities and at various skill levels . Quite normal I think? Whips are fairly commonly for goblins while I think its best you leave blowguns alone , the ammo for it cant be made by dwarfs . But if you really want , I think the occasional goblin has one or the guys in the caverns.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:06:40 am »

I'd definitely get the lasher a scourge or whip the next time the goblins happen to lose one. Blowguns are much harder to get, and more importantly, get ammo for.

If you're not above modding the raws, you can go into the entity_default.txt file for the world you're playing in and add this:
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BLOWGUN]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BLOWDARTS]

under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN], and your dwarves will able to create blowguns and blowdarts.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 10:47:53 am »

Dwarves with strange weapon skills is nothing new, but I'm slightly confused that you got a master thief in your wave...

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:00:57 pm »

Getting "drunks", "master thieves", and other strange professions is a glitch in 31.13, maybe because DF now pulls migrants from existing populations. It'll probably be fixed in 31.14.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:21:21 pm »

I also got a "master thief" dwarf as a migrant. Disturbing part is that I have no access to his "labor" menu (there are no entries under "p"references and if I press "l" there - nothing happens).
It could be a cool feature eventually - to get real criminal parasites with migrants. Also dwarves with high Liar skill could probably misreport their skills to you if it doesn't contradict their personality.

hinkz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 06:23:05 pm »

My master thief, due to sitting around drinking and chit chatting (when he wasn't hunting) got easily elected as the 2nd Mayor of Passionrampart. I have a feeling he'll be mayor for life.

(2nd Master Thief died a couple game months ago from a hunting trip gone wrong against a rutherer... lingering infection from wounds.)

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:20:01 pm »

Same problem in my current fort i have a war peasant and hunting peasant. To bad i can't assign them to my soldiers.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 01:49:32 pm »

Same problem in my current fort i have a war peasant and hunting peasant. To bad i can't assign them to my soldiers.
Really? I got a war peasant recently and I assigned him to a fisherdwarf out of curiosity. He punches zombies apart with rabid fanaticism every time his 'owner' goes fishing.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »

You could get dwarves with awesome skills in .12 if you were lucky.  (Or, if their skills were in things like blowgunning...  maybe not so lucky.)

The dwarves that can't be assigned labors are a unique glitch in .13.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:34 pm »

Sounds like something out of an anime.