Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: captain of the guard  (Read 1068 times)

Wnderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
captain of the guard
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:11:15 pm »

How do you assign troops to the captain of the guard or are all military under the captain of the guard? I thought maybe the fortress guard is like the police. The captain has a separate line in the military menu but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: captain of the guard
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:43:14 pm »

Create a squad with the Captain of the Guard as leader, then add dwarves to that squad and they'll become fortress guards. Unlike in previous versions, you can only have 10 fortress guards, including the captain.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:50:49 pm »

Go to the (m)ilitary screen, then select "Captain of the guard" and hit c to create the squad. Select their uniform(i recommend not setting one). Then assign a dwarf to the first slot and he will be your captain of the guard. He'll arrest and drag to jail or beat criminals. I recommend either setting a REALLY weak captain of the guard or waiting until you can set up a very good jail. I don't know what it matters, but the game seems to want enough jail capacity to handle 10% of your dwarves at any given time, so dig out enough 3x3 rooms for all your dwarves. Then make the most expensive metal chains you can(if you have lots of steel that works, otherwise grab random non-weapons metal from a caravan), smooth + engrave the whole thing, put a bed, table, chair in each room, and set a 1 tile prepared food stockpile and 1 tile drink stockpile in each room.

Dwarves can go to jail pissed and come out ecstatic that way.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:15:40 pm »

set a 1 tile prepared food stockpile and 1 tile drink stockpile in each room.

1-tile drink stockpiles don't actually work - they get filled with a single empty barrel (like any food stockpile), but that barrel will never actually be filled with booze. Any booze stockpile must be at least 2 tiles.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Wnderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:48 pm »

So far no iron or coal on this map. I do have marble. My metals are copper, zinc, lead, silver, brass and billon. I guess I'll make some brass chains.

We do have Bungekrodem Nentuketol, "Lizardspelts the Withered Pass" a galena figurine
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:52:06 pm »

set a 1 tile prepared food stockpile and 1 tile drink stockpile in each room.

1-tile drink stockpiles don't actually work - they get filled with a single empty barrel (like any food stockpile), but that barrel will never actually be filled with booze. Any booze stockpile must be at least 2 tiles.

Crap, just checked my jail and you're right.

I know they put booze in it when i first set it, but it looks like they never took the empty barrel away. If idiots wouldn't go in there to drink it wouldn't have been nearly as big a problem :/
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 01:55:02 am »

The dwarves tend to put an empty barrel into a newly created stockpile - if they only would bring them to the still. ;)

Ich experimented with my jail booze stockpil yesterday, because a prisoner was quite thirsty. I set the lilmit of barrels on the booze stockpile to zero. After a while the empty barrel was removed. Than I forbid barrel on another quite full booze stockpile so that finally a single booze barrel arrived in jail. ^^