Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switching from training to real weapons in a hurry  (Read 894 times)

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Switching from training to real weapons in a hurry
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:49:53 pm »

I've had this same situation be the death of about three fortresses now.

I get a small military together, but they're never "fully" trained by the time the first ambush shows up. I've taken to having them drill outside to avoid cave adaptation issues later, so they're inevitably training outside, with wooden weapons, when the ambush shows up. This never ends well.

I want my soldiers to be able to switch between training and real weapons in a hurry, but they don't seem capable of that. If I tell them to carry both at the same time, they tend to use whichever they pick up first, and never pick up the second. If I try to have them switch in a hurry, they will inevitably not do so in any kind of timely manner. What can I do to make sure my army is actually armed in time to be useful?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Switching from training to real weapons in a hurry
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:50:24 pm »

Just use the real weapons.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 06:51:12 pm »

Currently, in 31., your dwarfs can't get hurt when training with real weapons.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:21:32 pm »

Oh, ok. So... why do training weapons exist?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:29:47 pm »

Oh, ok. So... why do training weapons exist?

Once upon a time when people sparred it was actual combat, now when they spar if they hit it specifies that it is a light tap.

There is always that one in a million chance that you'll get a "Urist McAxeyMaster strikes Urist McNewRecruit in the neck with his *Adamantine Battle Axe*, lightly tapping him and sending the severed part sailing off in an arc!" or something like that, because the neck is completely unguarded outside of Robes/Dresses, but it's rare, even pitting a legendary champion against a recruit(generally they won't spar until the champion gives a number of demonstrations to raise the recruit's skill first anyway)
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »

Unfortunately (in my opinion), training is essentially harmless no matter what you use. It's disappointing that after implementing so many ways to avoid training accidents (training weapons, demonstrations, individual practice, giving squad leader positions to non-risk-taking dwarves who will keep green recruits from sparring) all of them were rendered pointless by taking away any benefit to being careful.

It does make some sense if it is a temporary fix to eliminate training accidents while health-care is still very buggy and to get rid of the need for training weapons until dwarves can swap them out for the genuine article in a reasonable time-frame. I just hope it gets changed back once those bugs are fixed.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 01:35:33 pm »

Don't use training weapons. You risk having your dwarves get "attached" to them.

Right now training a military up to significant levels is fairly hard.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:41:40 pm »

Don't use training weapons. You risk having your dwarves get "attached" to them.

Right now training a military up to significant levels is fairly hard.

Ironically, if you use training weapons, getting an elite military is very easy.

Due to barracks lined with upright repeating training spear traps (URTSTs), of course.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:45:14 pm »

I only ever use training weapons for amusement, rather than for my actual military.

Training spears are great for danger rooms, and sometimes I'll give 30+ dwarves training swords or training axes and send them against a single unarmed goblin, slowly beating the goblin to death over the course of months.

But my actual military uses steel weapons at all times.