Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dan Aris cancels Drink: Interrupted by Pike  (Read 1599 times)

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dan Aris cancels Drink: Interrupted by Pike
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:35:23 pm »

Relative newbie here, started playing with the game just a couple weeks ago, following the tutorial on afteractionreporter.com and making extensive use of the Wiki, playing version .40d. So, apologies if I'm asking a dumb question; point me in the right general direction and I'll be on my way.

I've been having a lot of trouble with Pike, but I figured that most of it is just Fun.  It's taken me a while, but I've managed to get my fisherdwarves to stay away from the river.

But now, for some reason I cannot fathom, dwarves keep going to the river to Drink.  I have plenty of booze stocked.  I have all the pools on the map designated as water sources.  And yet they head straight to the pike-infested river to Drink.  Almost every time they do, they get dragged to the bottom of the river with chunks missing.

So...how the devil do I get my dwarves to realize that there are better places to drink than the river?

Dan Aris

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Dan Aris cancels Drink: Interrupted by Pike
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:37:18 pm »

Useless post.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:39:52 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:37:33 pm »

Brew more booze.  If they're going to the river to drink, you don't have enough barrels of booze.  You might think you have a lot, but only one dwarf can drink out of a barrel at a time, and they take a surprisingly long time to do so, so if all the barrels are occupied any remaining thirsty dwarves will have to go elsewhere.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 07:39:08 pm »

Designate a water source away from said pike-infested river.
If you'll read his post, he already did.  The problem is that personal preferences always take precedence over zone designation, and dwarves always prefer drinking from rivers to drinking from pools.  They prefer drinking from wells even more, so if you build a well over a pond they'll drink from that rather than the river.  Better yet, brew more booze.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »

Brew more booze.  If they're going to the river to drink, you don't have enough barrels of booze.  You might think you have a lot, but only one dwarf can drink out of a barrel at a time, and they take a surprisingly long time to do so, so if all the barrels are occupied any remaining thirsty dwarves will have to go elsewhere.
This cannot be stressed enough.  Lots of booze.  In many barrels.  In my games, I try to keep the number of units of booze greater than 25x the number of dwarves I have.  That means for 200 population, I try to keep 5000 units of booze.  This way, even if every barrel has 25 units of booze each, I know I have at least one barrel of booze for each dwarf.

If there are dwarves trying to get to water, it means there is a booze problem which needs to be identified and fixed.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:27:11 pm »

Try designating the area forbidden,if you build a well they should prefer that.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:35:01 pm »

Try designating the area forbidden,if you build a well they should prefer that.
There's no way to designate an area forbidden, other perhaps than by creating a burrow that includes everything but that area and assigning dwarves to it.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:23 am »

You can't have burrows too big. The game starts acting funny if you have burrows covering the whole surface level and caves and stuff. Well mine did anyhow. I suggest building a well, might work. Pools and water sources don't seem to be perfect at the moment. Currently I cannot get them to fill a pool from a different pool. They fill it from itself. Grr.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.