Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Duplicate Fish???  (Read 899 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Duplicate Fish???
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:13:00 pm »

Using V0.12 I'm getting duplicate fish selectable on embark... Like this...

Turtle
Turtle
Lobster
Lobster
Loach
Loach
Etc
Etc

Is this normal? It seems to only be happening with the fish... I have modded the game...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate Fish???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:17:06 pm »

It means you can get male and female critters. It's the same with dogs, cats and other animals on embark because castes make them that way...
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:23:10 pm »

They each should have a male or female symbol next to the name, which may look like bags/amulets if you're using a tileset.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 02:47:49 pm »

Fish don't get a gender symbol using Phoebus' on .12 at embark.

Also, the genders don't get separate barrels, so I usually just buy 1.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 03:41:31 pm »

This makes more sense when you realize that with things like antmen there would be warrior bodyparts, worker bodyparts, queen bodyparts, ect.
...if you could embark with sentient creatures chopped up into steaks.

If you modded some kind of species where there were three castes- the little males, the little females, and the giant barnacle encrusted whale sized ones that had no gender then you'd get it on the list three times. If the name was the same.
In the case of bovine foodstuff you can choose bull meat or cow meat right? Same species but not exactly the same animal and definitely different enough for the game to not know it should combine them into one entry.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:45:23 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:29:06 pm »

Actually, I've only ever seen Fish, on the Fish submenu, get Gender/Caste distinction, in the Meat submenu at embark it's just "Cow Meat", "Dog Meat", "Tigerman Meat" (Yeah, I've done a couple with Eat Sentients modded to Acceptable), etcetera.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:39:19 pm »

It seems to only happen with creatures that are vermin, probably because vermin don't get butchered as such, so rather than buying turtle meat you're buying an actual processed turtle.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.