Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automatic Room Occupation?  (Read 1037 times)

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Automatic Room Occupation?
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:30:35 am »

I'm getting mildly fed up with having to individually assign every room to a dorf when new ones rock up.

Would it be possible to have an automated room occupation function, whereby once you mark the room as a bedroom, then it's first come first served without having to scroll down a long list of names to pick who you want.

The option to do it manually should remain, in case you want certain people in certain places, and if someone moves in that you didn't want, they are 'relocated' or 'evicted' once you select the named dorf you want.

Fairly straightforward I think with no perceptible flaws.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Room Occupation?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:32:26 am »

Actually rooms are already assigned to dwarfs if you do not assign them yourself. However this will probably take some time to actually take affect.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:46:12 pm »

Rather than waste a good topic title, how about the ability to set rooms as belonging to an office -mayor, sheriff, current noble etc- and ownership being transfered automatically?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:05:54 pm »

Rather than waste a good topic title, how about the ability to set rooms as belonging to an office -mayor, sheriff, current noble etc- and ownership being transfered automatically?

I could agree with this. Just worrying about my mayor having a beautiful room, and sleeping in his old peasant room instead.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:31:55 pm »

I could agree with this. Just worrying about my mayor having a beautiful room, and sleeping in his old peasant room instead.
Actually, dwarves in elected positions keeping their old room assignments as well makes a certain amount of sense. If some of them are more comfortable in their old quarters, that's their call.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:17:16 pm »

I like this idea, as beds can lay empty years after they've been built if they go unnoticed by the player. Perhaps there could be an "to be assigned by manager" option when the room is designated.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:48:45 pm »

Beds that are designated as Rooms will become occupied rooms in v0.31.13. The next dwarf to sleep in that bed claims it as his/her room. Then the next dwarf looking for a nap skips the owned rooms and takes the next unclaimed room. So the bedrooms all fill up with dwarves that don't yet have bedrooms, when each dwarf  goes to sleep in a bedroom.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:50:42 pm by AngleWyrm »

dsi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 12:10:04 am »

Beds that are designated as Rooms will become occupied rooms in v0.31.13. The next dwarf to sleep in that bed claims it as his/her room. Then the next dwarf looking for a nap skips the owned rooms and takes the next unclaimed room. So the bedrooms all fill up with dwarves that don't yet have bedrooms, when each dwarf  goes to sleep in a bedroom.
Is this v0.31.13 only?
Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:30:10 am »

Is this v0.31.13 only?

in earlier version it worked like this however most dwarfs weren't respecting room ownership and would just sleep in the closest bed causing rooms to remain unclaimed.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:18:23 am »

Is this v0.31.13 only?

The part where dwarves skip owned rooms and go to the next unclaimed room to sleep is a bug fix that got put into version 0.31.13

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 10:47:51 am »

Is this v0.31.13 only?

The part where dwarves skip owned rooms and go to the next unclaimed room to sleep is a bug fix that got put into version 0.31.13
The bug is 98% fixed; if you have a dormitory or barracks designated from a bed you'll still have homeless dwarves preferring to sleep in those than go claim an unclaimed bedroom. Workaround is either to never designate dormitories and designate barracks from buildings other than beds. Also note that even if you do have dormitories or bed barracks this behavior only applies to homeless dwarves; dwarves already with rooms will now actually sleep in them, so you could also work around the bug by manually assigning rooms still.

Either way, this is pretty much fixed in .31.13, assuming you can stand the other bugs in the release.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:25:04 am »

Actually, dwarves in elected positions keeping their old room assignments as well makes a certain amount of sense. If some of them are more comfortable in their old quarters, that's their call.

Also Mayors might get changed and old one should get demoted back to peasantry status. (Double mayors problem has been fixed, I hope.)
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.