Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing  (Read 622 times)

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothing
« on: September 20, 2010, 04:23:41 pm »

I never really understood the way clothing works. Good clothes give happy thoughts, ripped clothes give unhappy thoughts.

I created a huge amount of pig tail coats, dresses, trousers, shirts, caps, socks, gloves, and hoods. I set a finished goods stockpile close to the meeting area. Yet most of my dwarves are running around in tattered clothes (either xx or X)

What clothes should I build, and how do I get them to change?
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 04:30:48 pm »

It's bugged. Dwarves don't voluntarily wear clothing. The only way is to draft them all into the military and set uniforms.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 04:31:50 pm »

If you give them bedrooms and place cabinets in their bedrooms, the dwarves will claim new clothing, and then they will place their new clothing in the cabinets in their bedrooms.  They will not however actually wear their new clothing.  I hear it is possible to force them to wear specific clothing using the uniform settings in the military screens, but I've never managed to make that work.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 12:23:34 am »

So do they get happy thoughts from good clothes they own but aren't wearing?

Are clothes worthless other than as a trade good?
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:40:50 am »

I have had the exact opposite problem.

I have dwarves psionically claiming stuff off invaders and the first 30 dresses my clothesmaker makes every time.

Sometimes they pick them up, sometimes they don't. Every once in a while, they claim stuff they likely can't even use, like small clothes, though i think that guy was a child when he claimed them so it might be okay.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:43:14 am »

So do they get happy thoughts from good clothes they own but aren't wearing?

Are clothes worthless other than as a trade good?
I know there used to be the thought "made a satisfying acquisition lately" which could probably work for picking up clothes. Oh well, the only bad thought you'll face is the moment when their clothes fall apart - after that they don't seem to mind the nudist policy inflicted by the bug.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.