Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1655 Z Level Tall Hell Tower  (Read 1293 times)

mr.zimmerman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
1655 Z Level Tall Hell Tower
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:07:19 am »

So I recently started a new world with the latest version of Dwarf Fortress (31.13 as of this post). I was looking for little else besides some big ass cliffs and a river. I found a reasonable spot, prepared my dwarf's and embarked.

After a section of the cavern immediately collapsing I looked around to find a good place to dig in and I saw two weird, very straight wall of red material. I looked and it said it is Semi-Molten Rock.

SMR:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I thought I must be in some sort of super deep canyon? Or something? Obviously it isn't supposed to be hanging out in the open like that. Anyway, I followed it up, wondering when what, if anything, would be on top.

This is what's on top:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A little further down is a second Adamantine deposit. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at as I haven't had any experience with this version of DF, I'm just going of of wiki stuff that I've read.

I know I can't mine out semi-molten rock, and I don't know how far it extends (it isn't visible as wall material after a certain Z height).

So, I don't know, it's pretty weird.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: 1655 Z Level Tall Hell Tower
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:36:53 am »

Seems that Devil got sooo bored with dwarves breaking in, so he decided to reach Heaven and complain to Armok.

Build high stairway to the top and mine that blue stuff out! Anyway, it's also good way to localize HFS at the top of tower. Just in case...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:04:24 am »

There was another thread somewhere with a similar thing. It may be a bug, and it seems to be reproducible. Anyhow, it must be destroying your FPS.

mr.zimmerman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 02:22:31 am »

There was another thread somewhere with a similar thing. It may be a bug, and it seems to be reproducible. Anyhow, it must be destroying your FPS.

I marked some digging then unpaused the game and for a couple minutes my FPS dropped to zero, which I thought was going to be the end of that, but then it kicked back up and everything moved along smoothly. Saving took something like 20 minutes, but I think that's my fairly old laptop and not DF.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 02:47:15 am »

Mind uploaded the save? I want to see this for myself. that is awesome, I bet if you breach it through that adamantine spire your FPS will go to 0
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.