Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attracting Magma Men?  (Read 900 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attracting Magma Men?
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:03:11 pm »

I've been pitting humans into my magma pit and one Magma Man has been lurking in somewhat closer, but so far has stayed deep.

Is there any way to attract the magma men and catch one in a cage trap?
I kinda want one for my zoo, although I suspect this is one of those bright ideas that will bring down my fort in a roaring blaze of great balls of fire.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attracting Magma Men?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 08:32:50 pm »

Have you tried setting up cage traps all over the shore of the Magma mens habitat and chaining animals behind the cages as bait?

Or are magma man benign towards animals discluding humanoids?

Also: LOL humans?

Where did you get humans????

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:02:22 pm »

Dead liaisons probably.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:14:08 pm »

Have you tried setting up cage traps all over the shore of the Magma mens habitat and chaining animals behind the cages as bait?

Or are magma man benign towards animals discluding humanoids?
Also: LOL humans?
Where did you get humans????

No liaisons nor dead.

Live ones. They walked in lead of ~6 goblin ambushers,
Most I save and butcher with military, but archers, crossbowmen, etc. & goblins with
long range weapons get special treatment where I ditch them into my magma pit alive
hoping that I will one day hit that Magma man that is wandering around 4-5 Z-levels
deeper.

Funny thing is I get humans as both enemies and friends as my settlement is near
a human village. Also ambushers take their toll on the humans too so we get human vs human occasionally.

I will try to leash an animal near some cage traps to test what the magma man likes.

Figure he might be a nice pet for some nobility if he keeps tossing fireballs from cage..

Also note that magma dispatching means no bleeding and less FPS loss in the long term. Though of course no exp.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:21:02 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:28:26 pm »

Ah, goblin humans. Chain them up right behind the cage traps for your magma man.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:15:41 am »

Ah, goblin humans. Chain them up right behind the cage traps for your magma man.

Too late now. A cow killed my Magma man.  :'(

By the way, are left over parts like {Fire Man head} safe to take away or will they start fires?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:20:15 am by jei »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:19:10 am »

Oh. That explains it. Fire men are pathetic.

Yeah, the parts are safe.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:47:11 am »

Oh. That explains it. Fire men are pathetic.

Yeah, the parts are safe.

Thanks.

Although, in retrospect, that Fire Man the cow killed is not the Magma Man I spotted, now that I noted it, he's moved off to another area. Didn't even spot the fireman before that battle took place.

Wonder what happened to the cow though, only a pile of ashes left where they battled.... Ah, seems to be doing well. Gained a name anyway.