Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detecting Pregnancy  (Read 1258 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Detecting Pregnancy
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »

Is there any efficient way to determine which dwarves are pregnant?  I really don't want anybody giving birth in the middle of an active danger room.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Detecting Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:50:27 pm »

If they are married, they are pregnant unless you have passed your child cap in the init settings.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:51:47 pm »

I don't think you can, you could throw them into 2/7 magma and see how long it takes for them to get out. Just use my table.

.1sec - 1sec : NOT PREGNANT
1sec - 2sec : PREGNANT
2+ sec : DEAD

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:38:23 pm »

If my pop cap is passed, will they still get pregnant?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:53:19 pm »

If my pop cap is passed, will they still get pregnant?

Absolutely - if you want to stop that, you'll need to change your BABY_CHILD_CAP in d_init.txt.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 12:25:03 am »

OK, then how do I tell how pregnant they are? 

My goal here is to use danger rooms to train up all my dwarves as super melee fighters.  I'm assuming that a woman could get grumpy on seeing her baby impaled on a danger room spike.  The options I see right now are:

1.  Lower the baby cap to prevent pregnancies.  Would that affect adult immigration?

2.  Make all the women marksdwarves and await the inevitable sex-discrimination lawsuit.

3.  Somehow know when a woman is likely to give birth, and pull her out of the danger room during that time.

Another other ideas?

dsi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 12:32:54 am »

My goal here is to use danger rooms to train up all my dwarves as super melee fighters.  I'm assuming that a woman could get grumpy on seeing her baby impaled on a danger room spike.  The options I see right now are:

1.  Lower the baby cap to prevent pregnancies.  Would that affect adult immigration?

2.  Make all the women marksdwarves and await the inevitable sex-discrimination lawsuit.

3.  Somehow know when a woman is likely to give birth, and pull her out of the danger room during that time.

Another other ideas?

1. No

2. But babies are great meatshields...

3. You can't know besides that "They are married" and "They are not married".
Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 01:26:52 am »

Only males in the military problem solved :D

its what i do anyway and many others I hear

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 04:26:01 am »

You cannot detect if anything is pregnant or not. Currently does not exist any difference between pregnant and non-pregnant state (except most obvious thing - poping out baby, but this will not help you). No drawbacks or penatlies to movement or whatever.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 03:07:22 pm »

I don't think you can, you could throw them into 2/7 magma and see how long it takes for them to get out. Just use my table.

.1sec - 1sec : NOT PREGNANT
1sec - 2sec : PREGNANT
2+ sec : DEAD

This is so sigged!
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 04:24:24 pm »

Another other ideas?

Once married they pop the kids out like clockwork. Every 9 months or so. Easiest way to tell about how far along they are is to look at the age of their youngest child.