Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gun Crafting and Shooting  (Read 1346 times)

Urist McIsaac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gun Crafting and Shooting
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:34:16 am »

Sorry if this has already been suggested I searched the posts for it. I think it would cool to add guns and gunsmithing to DF. The guns would work the same as crossbows and bows, maybe they will go a little faster. You would be able to make stocks with your carpenter and make the metal parts with blacksmiths, have you dwarfs bejeweled theme.  You would also need gun powder and bullets for your guns.  Your dwarfs would need to carry around a powder bag and bullets. You be able to make the gun powder from certain stones, and be able to make bullets from rocks and metal. Maybe even inventing some kind of magma bullet ;)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Crafting and Shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:52:58 am »

I don't think guns were around in the era DF is set in. If not then it will probably not be put in.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:47 am »

Toady has said many many many times that there will be no guns.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:56:29 am »

I thought it was given that there would be no guns or anything stupid like that, to be honest. If you want them that bad, mod them in yourself.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:58:09 am »

I thought it was given that there would be no guns or anything stupid like that, to be honest. If you want them that bad, mod them in yourself.
This.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:02:28 am »

You can indeed just make a new type of ranged weapon/mod one that already exists.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Urist McIsaac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 11:49:48 am »

My bad.  :o I had no idea of Toadys stance of no guns. That is totally fine, DF is a badass enough a game without them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:51:40 am by Urist McIsaac »

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 12:28:00 pm »

I could live without guns, though they wouldn't be that anachronistic in a society that has the kind of mechanical and hydroengineering sophistication that df does; (not to mention... magma-powered furnaces?!? We can't even do that.) in the 14th century the Chinese had gone as far as muzzle-loading arquebuses, India had grenades and rockets (as did China where it was all invented of course) and Europeans had artillery bombards, and evidently briefly used rockets but they proved unpopular and fell out of use as ballistic weapons were further developed.

It would be best I think to have it as a complete white elephant, something that looks as though it would be cool to have and requires immense investment and coordination to develop but in reality is so unreliable and liable to backfire that it's useless.  I also think that a totally dwarven weapon would be the petard, which would provide great amounts of fun.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:35 pm »

BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION

* Check our development pages. You can find everything in one place at this link.
    * Search for an existing thread.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »

* Check our development pages. You can find everything in one place at this link.

Is there any way to just make it so that right after pressing the "New Topic" button, the browser goes to a page where this message is displayed with a little agreement box to check before proceeding? Preferably with little caricatures of Capntastic and/or Footkerchief dancing around and pointing to the message???

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:00:09 pm »

Is Toady planning on making modding easier? Like support for guns, but not putting it in himself?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 05:14:56 pm »

Is there any way to just make it so that right after pressing the "New Topic" button, the browser goes to a page where this message is displayed with a little agreement box to check before proceeding? Preferably with little caricatures of Capntastic and/or Footkerchief dancing around and pointing to the message???

I think SA used to have something like that, only to reduce repeats on "hey check this news article!"    Sans caricatures, though.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 05:35:29 pm »

Well, I think it needs to happen on this forum.  Big time.  :)