Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First time I have this problem(problem fixed, but now, funny bug!)  (Read 2336 times)

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First time I have this problem(problem fixed, but now, funny bug!)
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:17:31 pm »

Here is the situation, I have been playing dwarf fortress since 40d and was awaiting this new release, .13, to start a new fortress and become a no life cave dweller again, but I seem to have a great problem here or something I don't understand. Last version I played before this was .12 at its release so I highly doubt it is something new I missed.

Problem #1:When I tried starting a new fortress, it crashed on both my first and second tries. World gen is find, embark screen is fine, choosing equipment and skills is fine, but as soon as the game loads the site, I get a simple dwarf fortress.exe crashed without anymore infos. On my third try it worked and got to load a site where I could play which leads to:

Problem #2:I can order stuff around to be done, but nobody picks up equipment, nobody does anything but stand around the wagon and wait.

I also have very poor FPS issues with only my embarking 7 dwarves, 2 dogs, a horse and no other animals. Only other FPS eating thing is the brook, but I see nothing special about it. No cave-ins on embark either.

Now my question is: Why is all this happening suddenly?

I posted my thread here because I haven't tried aventurer mode nor legend mode, it is technically not a bug in itself since I seem to be the only one having this trouble at the moment and I already tried redownloading DF 13 from the main source. SDL version.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:06:47 pm by newguy12354 »

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First time I have this problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »

Check for 2000+ z-level high adamantine spires, this sounds rather symptomatic of the last one.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:53:11 pm »

You might also want to try some different print modes, maybe the default is having trouble with your video drivers with the new version?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:05:00 pm »

Tommy - It isn't that, my map looks extremely normal and Z levels numbers are okay too. First layer of ground is soil so they shouldn't have any trouble digging in and if the problem comes from soemthing underground, then I can't see it, since I can't dig.

Gtmattz - And how do I change print modes? Never had to before so I have no idea. ^^

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:45:19 pm »

Well, if its the same problem the Adamantine Space Elevator suffered from, you might start being able to do stuff (equip weapons, mine, etc) after the second migration wave arrives ... if its the same bug.

As for the print modes: open data/init/init.txt and search for [PRINT and that should take you to the print mode section.  The comments just above it list the valid values.  Try different ones to see if any work better for you.

You might want to make a backup of your region directory (zip it) in case it is needed for bugtesting (I don't remember where folks said to upload it, as I'm very new to DF).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:10:48 pm »

Problem #2:I can order stuff around to be done, but nobody picks up equipment, nobody does anything but stand around the wagon and wait.
If after reloading save this persists, report bug to bug tracker and upload save.

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:53:01 pm »

I don't have the save anymore as I re-downloaded yet again and somehow, it worked this time... Maybe it was something from unzipping. Anyway, now everything is working like it should(or not working like it should, like the overgrowth of farms), but one thing...

I HAVE A LIGHT SPEED RAT.

Yes, you heard me, the rat move at light speed, he stays on one tile for .0005s before moving to the next one, so overall he blinks all over my fortress and simply annoys me. I have another rat that is moving normally, only this one is Captain Lightspeed.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First time I have this problem(problem fixed, but now, funny bug!)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:03:02 pm »

If you pause and advance one frame at a time (. key) does he move a tile each time?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 07:40:40 pm »

Yes, and sometimes, he even move several tiles away.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:05:13 pm »

Get a cat.

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:41:20 pm »

I am not sure a cat would be fast enough to catch it unless it walks into the cat.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:48:22 pm »

I don't have the save anymore as I re-downloaded yet again and somehow, it worked this time... Maybe it was something from unzipping. Anyway, now everything is working like it should(or not working like it should, like the overgrowth of farms), but one thing...

I HAVE A LIGHT SPEED RAT.

Yes, you heard me, the rat move at light speed, he stays on one tile for .0005s before moving to the next one, so overall he blinks all over my fortress and simply annoys me. I have another rat that is moving normally, only this one is Captain Lightspeed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 12:43:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Get a white & black cat... preferably one with an odd speech. Or if you can a coyote...
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...