Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking  (Read 463 times)

Nonomu198

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Embarking
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:25:45 am »

Hey guys.
I've been fighting for embarking space in the new version for a couple of days now. My last fortress (and all others before it, I'm kind of new to the game) was hit by some no goblin and wild animal attacks bug (yes, there were goblin neighbors...), which resulted in a boring metropolis, and there weren't even any sedimentary layers, which resulted in no steel industry...   :-\.

So I've decided to generate a new world, and find me a nice mountain with some sedimentary layers. Which, as I said, is impossible. Every good  piece of land is always occupied (also most of the less attractive areas)! Not to mention how hard it is to actually find them. I tried generating worlds with parameters, with no success. Is this some kind of bug? I don't remember finding some space being so hard in the previous version.

Any ideas?

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 11:33:51 am »

Reinstall .12 :P

The site sprawl spreads over time, so if you end worldgen earlier (after a couple hundred years, maybe) you should have more room to embark. Can't help you with the other bugs except to say that Toady has promised a bugfix release before the end of the month.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 11:49:30 am »

Stop worldgen at year 50 and it seems okay to me.  1050 years, forget it.  I think I also have an area that inexplicably has no goblins, which is really a pity since I busted my ass to build a cool entry path.

Nonomu198

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:21:12 pm »

Thanks for the help.
Reinstalling .12, you say? Maybe, especially since it's still installed, lol. Getting back to dwarves not sleeping in their bloody rooms doesn't sound to hot...
I already tried ending world generation on 100 years, didn't help any. I guess I can try finishing it earlier.

Does anyone have any world generation tips? As mentioned, just finding a mountain with sedimentary layers is a pain in the ass, populated or not.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 12:36:32 pm »

I didn't really have a lot of trouble finding sedimentary rock/mountain combos so far, just the lack of goblins has been the only major problem for me (only been using .13 for a day though).

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 02:36:39 pm »

Thanks for the help.
Reinstalling .12, you say? Maybe, especially since it's still installed, lol. Getting back to dwarves not sleeping in their bloody rooms doesn't sound to hot...
I already tried ending world generation on 100 years, didn't help any. I guess I can try finishing it earlier.

Does anyone have any world generation tips? As mentioned, just finding a mountain with sedimentary layers is a pain in the ass, populated or not.
100 years is far too long. What's wrong with ending it at year 2? We've just written some worldgen tips over in the .13 announcement thread - page 17 of it at present. Go look there.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 02:39:59 pm »

Thanks for the help.
Start up .12.  Create a world.  Quit .12 and then copy the save folder over to your .13 install.  Open .13 and embark.  You'll have the world gen of .12 with no sprawl, and the bug fixes of .13 with dwarves sleeping in the right bedrooms.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.