Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Embarking on a mountainside Volcano  (Read 1647 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking on a mountainside Volcano
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 06:28:19 am »

Surely the only thing that you NEED wood for is beds, windmills and training weapons and ash, IMO. It should be possible to survive for a couple of years with three beds made from the wagon. Fresh water isn't needed unless you have injured dwarves  or carelessly run out of booze.. You do not need water to brew booze, i don't think.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 07:03:46 am »

Yes, you don't even really need beds for a long time (possibly never), I've gone many years with no beds.  Current fort is in year 4, 10 beds/84 population.  Everybody's at least at Content despite frequently having to take a nap on a rock floor.  I don't have any major amenities in yet either, no dining room, all the food is raw meat, etc.  My one concession to happy-making is an interior waterfall in the tiny communal well room/dormitory.  And no you don't need water to brew booze.  A well is a very good safety net for when booze might run out though, for those times a caravan gets mashed by an ambush/siege.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 10:06:28 am »

So I thought "Hey cool, volcano!" *embark*

Slight problems ensued.

No wood for beds. DOH!
No water for irrigation. Fine, I can do with shrubs.
Barren region, no shrubs or trees. DOH!

How is it even possible to survive on such an embark. Caverns?

And no murky pools either, I take it?  They can sometimes be tucked away in unsuspecting corners, but I'll believe you.

Also are there really NO shrubs at all?  Even the seeds from a single prickle-berry plus a tiny patch of soil can begin a fledgling farming project.  Or is there also no soil?  I have no experience with barren biomes.
I have long since abandoned that embark since everyone died of thirst. But as far as I could see, all I had was white sand, pebbles and endless barren fields of obsidian. Nothing living in sight anywhere.
Pages: 1 [2]