Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clearing out my refuse pile  (Read 728 times)

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clearing out my refuse pile
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:44:50 am »

My refuse pile is quite full, and I'm trying to decide what I should leave in it for future use.  I know that things like hair and nervous tissue have no use, so they can be dumped; but I also have lots of partial skeletons and various body parts from animals, goblins, and FBs.  Do these have any use?  I know that bones are stored in the refuse stockpile for use by bone carvers, but my bone carvers say they can't find any usable bone in there.  I assumed that the bones weren't sufficiently dry, but now that they've been there a while, I'm starting to wonder if the Dwarven aversion to butchering sentient beings also extends to using their bones for art, in which case I guess I can safely dump them all into the magma sea.

Am I on the right track here?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing out my refuse pile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:49:03 am »

If the bones are part of the skeleton of a creature that cannot be butchered, I am almost certain that they are unusable.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing out my refuse pile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:14:15 pm »

Eventually some of the corpses rot down into component parts and you can at least use the bones to make bolts, I have some goblin bone bolts.  I've made some things with troll horns and tusks as well but that may be because the parts were severed in combat.  As far as I know I haven't made any elf or human bone items though, some stuff just never seems to go.

I think you'd be safe to just apply magma to the lot, I seem to get plenty of bones from butchering forgotten beasts and my hunter's spoils.