Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eager Marksdwarves  (Read 319 times)

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eager Marksdwarves
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:14:38 am »

I don't know if this happend with previous releases but I noticed today with .13:

If I order all my squads to move somewhere and cancel that order afterwards all dwarfs return to their other duties except the marksdwarves. They still run to that position and wait there for some time. Some of them even arrive some days later to linger a while. Some were even seen a month later.

This might sound harmless but I just had this situation:

A forgotten beast stood behind one of my doors and waited for about a month. Did nothing, not even tried to break the door down. Since there was still one of my dwarves behind the beast (slowly starving) I then decided to kill that thing and ordered my military to form up behind that door and strike when all of them arrived. But what happened? The stupid dwarves that was behind that beast ran past it and therefore opened the door for it. The dwarf was killed in an instant and the beast was ready to take on the single military dwarves that arrived slowly. To prevent this I removed the move order and expected all dwarves to run back into their designated burrows, meaning behind all my defenses so I could kill the beast with a lot of ballistas. But what happened? All of them ran back to safety except the marksdwarves. They continued on their journey to fullfil the station order (which was no longer given).

Of course combat ensued. The marksdwarf shot once, taking of one of the beast's wings and went for the kill. One strike later the beast was dead... One shot, one strike (with the crossbow)... yeah, furious beast!

Long story short: Move order abortion is ignored by marksdwarves for a while.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Eager Marksdwarves
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:21:53 am »

Actually, I've observed that behavior on all military dwarves, not just marksdwarves.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eager Marksdwarves
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:04:08 am »

Yeah, this happens to me all the time in .12.

Almost always happens to me if i issue a Station order and then a kill order before they get there.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]