Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stranded immigrants  (Read 521 times)

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stranded immigrants
« on: March 10, 2008, 06:37:00 am »

More an undesirable feature than a bug perhaps, but I managed to generate a region where the wagon arrives in one place and the immigrants in another and there's no path between the two. Looked like a z-level difference caused them to get stuck as they weren't blocked by water but by high ground in between them and the fortress. I tunnelled through the hill and that retrieved some of them but yet more arrived at some other location around the edge of the region and are gaining expertise at vermin hunting. I think the same thing happened to the trade caravans as none of them could get through either. My fortress is right next door to the wagon location so it would make sense that the immigrants could get there too.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Stranded immigrants
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

I expect that this'll get (mostly) fixed once the army arc is closer to finish...just as a natural extension of the road code.  Of course you never know.  Maybe those immigrants are from somewhere else than where you came from?

I consider it very important to dig stairways/bridges to access every map edge when I arrive at my site.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:37:00 am »

>Maybe those immigrants are from somewhere else than where you came from?

A very plausible explanation! Though if they were serious immigrants I'd rather expect them to know a route to where they were emigrating to. Just walking over a hill would seem to be all they need to do. Digging tunnels all over the place was a diversion of resources and I wanted to have just one or two easily defendable entrances close to my barracks.

Though thinking about it do goblins and the like invariably attack the 'main' door or just a random entrance? In which case a few back doors leading into a five mile twisty corridor with a trap on every tile could be just the ticket.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

oh no, I have had the goblins come through that back door when all the defenses were ready at the front.

They'll be comin' round the mountain when they come...

igless