Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demons! They killed more than 100 of my dwarves.  (Read 868 times)

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Demons! They killed more than 100 of my dwarves.
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:37:00 pm »

There is a wide path of blood, corpses, guts, and equipment from the pits to the river.  Out of 160 dwarves I had before the demons appeared, I now have 41. Half of the nobles bit the dust, including the captain of the guard. That would have been nice to still have him, because half of my guys are tantruming now.

I thought I had prepared enough. I had 30 dwarves at skilled or better with their weapon, in iron plate including shields, helms, boots, and greaves.  I think my biggest problem was getting the military dwarves to respond to the conflict. I activated their squads, stationed them in a barracks I made near the lava, gave them patrol routes near the breach I made on the far side of the lava, but they didn't really listen.

Now, I'm going to see if my fortress is recoverable.  None of my workshops were destroyed, and now I have enough food to last years without farming.

Anyone ever recover from a disaster like this?

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
Re: Demons! They killed more than 100 of my dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »

By percentage, I faced about the same problem. I had lizardmen kill 5 of the initial 7 dwarves and every animal they could. To this day I don't have a regular cat population.

You should be fine, if you have stored food. Just lock the tantruming dwarves to one side of the fort and pray that the goblins don't decide to attack now.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 04:12:00 pm »

Oh this is just great. The spring after my disaster, immigrants. Including 9 nobles.  I don't even have a working mason yet, preparing their rooms is going to be a trial.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 04:34:00 pm »

Might as well post my most recent revelation here:

Demons are steam-proof.

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 05:03:00 pm »

Now, did you see ANY damage occur while they were in the steam cloud? They might just move fast enough through to not get hurt a whole lot. Which could mean a larger steam room would do the trick. If not, then it's back to the "flood room then deal with remaining frog demons" design of using liquids to deal with enemies.

I'm disappointed. :/

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 05:20:00 pm »

Steam falls under fire immunity at the present time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 10:39:00 pm »

An interesting revelation.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 01:14:00 am »

In other words, flood the room (kills the fire-immune demons), THEN pour in the lava.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »

More like, pour in the water and wait until the fire-based demons drown. Then don't bother pouring the lava because toad demons are immune to it, and they're already demolishing your floodgates anyway.

Best 'cheap' way to kill the demons is still a hall lined with doors and drawbridges. Mine to the pits, flee, wait for reports of doors being destroyed, squishy squishy.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 03:35:00 am »

Aren't toad demons still vunerable to steam?  Letting in the lava after the water still might work if that's the case.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

seizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 06:37:00 am »

I've found the best way to deal with demons is  having 3-4 swordmasters.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »

I think I gave all the demons lava walking because it would be too much if the adjacent lava river stopped them, and lava walking probably adds the fire immunity flag as well, which would give steam immunity...  I think.  I somebody has steamed toad demon for yummies they can share.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!