Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BOOT failure  (Read 2317 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
BOOT failure
« on: September 10, 2010, 08:56:21 am »

Lately my computer has been hanging at the Emachines logo screen where I can access BOOT settings and BIOS settings, I've gone into both and discovered that, at times, the computer simply doesn't detect the BOOT program(chip? whatever). Strangely enough, I can start the computer with my external harddrive on, when it gets to the logo screen it becomes completely unresponsive, I then unplug the computer, plug it back in, turn off the external, then start my computer again, and for some reason it detects the BOOT again.

I'm wondering about solutions, would a simple cleaning be it? My computer hasn't been cleaned for some time. Perhaps there is a hard disk solution? Or will I need to download a BOOT program to a flash drive(or get a BOOT disk, but the onboard disk drive is non-functional). I'm worried if I do the flash drive thing it will be all for naught because I might run into the same problem as with my external.

Please help me out here, I wouldn't want to lose you guys. O(

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
Re: BOOT failure
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:49:12 am »

I am currently working with Shad0w on this problem via Steam chat.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:59:34 am »

Might be onboard battery, or just dust. Dust can do the strangest stuff.

But if you feel uncomfortable taking everything apart, cleaning it, reapplying your thermal paste, and putting it all back together, you should still do it. Follow the precautions (should be findable on the internet), remember what was connected to where, and you'll be fine :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:57:12 am »

We are planning on... I think it was resetting the CMOS? Something like that.
 If I disappear, either yell at Volatar or assume my PC just decided to kick it.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 11:11:10 am »

Yeah. Resetting the CMOS. We worked through pretty much all the other ideas I have on fixing it.

We have established that booting with the external HDD turned off is a consistent workaround.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 01:01:24 pm »

The external HD might be drawing too much power?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 04:42:10 pm »

Might be confusing the external HD and the internal's drive letters and looking for your OS on the external and going "Nope, not there. Not gonna check that other one". I'd expect something like that from Windows.

romawillx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • iPad Accessories
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:20:27 am »

1. floppy or CD-ROM. Disk Boot Failure can arise from number of sources. some reasons are corrupt bootable disk.
2. order of devices to boot from in BIOS setting
3. problem with IDE port of motherboard and many more.Check if the disk is properly inserted and is working fine. check all cabling connections in the computer system.
4. failing cable will produce these errors. Check if disk is not having any scratches and dust on it. If dust is there remove it and reinsert the disk and restart the system.
5. Check for your BIOS setting. Check for the order of devices to boot from.
6. A weak SMP could also be a reason. Check your battery for power supply.
7. Check your BIOS battery. A dead Bios Battery will also cause the same problem.
8. Remove your RAM from the motherboard and clean it with a piece of cloth and reinsert it properly onto the motherboard. Restart the system.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 04:03:14 pm »

...Emachines logo screen...

That there's your trouble, mister.

Also yeah, your computer is trying to boot from the external, probably since its recognizing it as a 'floppy disk drive' and the boot order usually prioritizes floppy disks over the hard disk (so if you need to boot with a disk, it knows that automatically, otherwise leave the disk out and boot normal. Yes, I'm old enough to remember making 3.25in boot disks for high performance games). Go into Setup, look for boot order, and make it boot from the hard disk first. This isn't a problem with Windows you silly Machipsters, since Windows isn't even being asked to start by the time this problem happens. Don't dick around with taking apart your car when its just a flat tire. Sure, nothing bad happens if you do it right, but rarely does it do any good and there's always that risk you screw something up.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:15:39 pm by Nikov »
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 05:20:43 pm »

I fear Nikov might be too late.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 12:42:48 am »

Noooooooo!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 01:55:48 pm »

Oh, right, forgot about this thread.

Anyway, after some fussing around with Volatar and the BIOS we disabled the 'removable media'(I think) search priority, we also switched to a more detailed launch screen.

However we did not actually discover what the real issue was, I've lately been shutting down my computer each night since then with no incident. It has booted every time, however I also havn't been running any programs from the external.(although I have been copying to it)
 My plan of attack right now is to continue shutting down my computer without using the external for more than copying, then if I still don't encounter the problem after a while I'll attempt to run a certain program I've become suspicious of, Project 64. If that causes it to happen again I'll attempt to run some other program if I can get it to boot again. If THAT causes a BOOT failure than it probably has something to do with the external iteself, if not, then it's P64 somehow causing it. And if P64 doesn't cause it to happen, then I suppose I'll consider the problem fixed by disabling the removable media priority.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 05:57:54 pm »

...oooh. Oh.

Yep, 'swhat I thought.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:57 pm »

Something similar happens with our computer.

If you try booting it up when the printer is switched on, it won't work. Booting it up with the printer off and then switching it on is fine, though. I don't think it has to do with boot order, as my dad works in IT support and that would be the first thing he tries.