Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves won't clean rooms inside surface constructions  (Read 1451 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Dwarves won't clean rooms inside surface constructions
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 07:46:46 am »

The thing is, water won't wash away blood, it will spread it EVERYWHERE.
That's not completely true.  Blood objects will be pushed by water.  If the water spreads out the blood objects will multiply.  If the water converges the blood objects will be concentrated in a smaller area.  It is possible to was an area clean of blood if you can arrange it such that the water does not increase in area as it's hitting the blood.  This will be difficult to do in a large outside area, but if you have a narrow corridor full of blood you can push the blood into a small area with a steady, concentrated stream of water.

Where blood really gets spread around is when you have creatures get hit by water, then pass through pools of blood.  This causes them to become wet and bloody, and they'll leave behind a trail of blood for a while afterward.  This is made worse by the fact that pools of blood seem to be created when a bloody creature hits water, so if you have water splashing in an area while bloody creatures are passing through you'll quickly have a massive spreading area of blood contamination.

Fun DF blood trivia:  Drowning creatures bleed everywhere.  Falling creatures that explode into a dozen pieces do not!  Apparently, their blood gets vaporized on impact, or perhaps it becomes superdense and falls through the floor!

As pointed out, drowning alone does not cause bleeding.  However, if the creature had any blood on it whatsoever, that blood will wash off in the water and then be spread around by movement of the water and the drowning creature, making it look like the drowning creature is bleeding everywhere.  Creatures which are instantly blown to pieces by falling on the other hand don't create blood because as far as I can tell blood is only created by injured living creatures, and anything that dies instantly doesn't get a chance to bleed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 08:01:33 am »

That's not completely true.  Blood objects will be pushed by water.  If the water spreads out the blood objects will multiply.  If the water converges the blood objects will be concentrated in a smaller area. 

I just spent an hour watching blood not do that.  A standing puddle of 1-deep water, some person or animal with blood on them walked through it, and blood was tracked everywhere.  There was only one tile of water 1 deep, the water itself wasn't moving.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 09:27:30 am »

I executed a bunch of caged goblins above ground (in a second story archery barracks), and there was blood everywhere. But it's not there now. Er, but maybe the rain cleaned it away? The room is open to the weather.

On the ground, near the entrance to my fort, blood had spread everywhere, too, from some weapon traps nearby. It was just a huge blood-pool. But I had my dwarves smooth the rock, and that cleaned it up. (Again, maybe the rain helped?)

I've noticed, too, that dwarves and goblins dropped from heights don't seem to bleed. They end up in four or five pieces, with heads, arms, and legs flying everywhere, but there's no blood afterward. Funny, huh?

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »

Smoothing a floor will clean away any blood, mud, or pus.

A creature covered in blood passing through a pool of water will spread the blood to the water. Any further creatures passing through that water will then become blood covered, and continue to spread the blood around.

Constructing or deconstructing on a tile with blood will remove the blood. So for those above ground inside killing rooms that are covered in blood--- just refloor it. If refloored, unfloor it. Unflooring will reset the revealed tile to natural state, so you can let that get bloody, then smooth it clean. Then when that gets too much blood, you can floor over it. Once that gets too bloody, you can then unfloor and repeat as necessary. OR--- just use the cleaning utility in DFHack.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: 1 [2]