Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Selling rotten roasts?  (Read 1192 times)

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Selling rotten roasts?
« on: September 21, 2010, 05:42:42 am »

Recently I looked in my refuse pile and saw a %
when I [k]'d it, I found it was a 15 stack of rotten masterful cow heart roast
it was still worth about 4k
Is it possible for me to offload this item to merchants?
I mean, its rotten...
=/
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Selling rotten roasts?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:43:19 am »

I'd try it on the elves.

If they don't like it, just steal all their stuff anyway.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:40 am »

I'd try it on the elves.

If they don't like it, just steal all their stuff anyway.
Most likely the elves wouldn't accept it (and get pissed off) because it's made of cow.

If you can get it to the depot however, there's a good chance it will be in the trade menu as well.

Never actually sold any prepared food. Not sure if it works with rotten ones. But like Zaik said, give it a try. And do let us know what happens.  :D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:49:31 am »

Elves will accept meat and cooked meals without any problem.  They only get upset if you sell them something made of wood, or wood-byproduct (ash, lye, soap, clear glass).  I've never tried selling rotten roasts, but I've bought out many a trade caravan with unrotten roasts in the past.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:41:56 am »

I think in ancient days, elves took offense at animal killing too, but they're more lenient now.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:17:00 pm »

Thanks, guess I haven't traded with them enough in a long time now.  :)
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:19:33 pm »

I think in ancient days, elves took offense at animal killing too, but they're more lenient now.
In the 2D days and very early 3D versions, elves would be offended if you tried to sell them anything made from wood, leather, bone, skulls and shell (though I think meat might have been OK, oddly enough...it's been a long time since I played any of those versions, though, so I'm not certain). In later 3D versions (don't know exactly when it was introduced, but .40a, .39 or possibly even .38 are possibilities) they didn't mind trading leather but were still offended by wood, which is the way it's remained to this day.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:01:40 am »

I like the selling to the elves idea, but it has one flaw
it leaves the elves alive at the end of the trade, and this, I will not stand
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 07:40:24 am »

I had to stop killing elves after about the third time i ever did it because there was so much totally useless crap i had to dump that it wasn't worth it.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:06:42 am »

I had to stop killing elves after about the third time i ever did it because there was so much totally useless crap i had to dump that it wasn't worth it.
I've taken to killing elves and humans as a way to train my otherwise useless military that refuses to have any positive effects from personal training and sparring, and I've noticed this as well.. endless piles of useless crap that I can't even process to charcoal for some mysterious reason.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 09:04:08 am »

You pawn it all off to the humans. I mean, it's sitting right there in your depot, is it not? Just have the relevant (finished goods, armor, weapons) stockpiles not accept wooden things.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 11:24:52 am »

Elves will accept meat and cooked meals without any problem.  They only get upset if you sell them something made of wood, or wood-byproduct (ash, lye, soap, clear glass).  I've never tried selling rotten roasts, but I've bought out many a trade caravan with unrotten roasts in the past.

Elves also accept petrified wood. They even requested such items from me when I did not dare offer and was skimping on the price.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 01:22:14 pm »

Elves also accept petrified wood. They even requested such items from me when I did not dare offer and was skimping on the price.

Well, they probably realize that you could'nt possibly have cut down wood that's been underground for thousands of years, so they won't get angry at you for cutting down trees.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:28:25 pm by Dude_Jebawe »

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 02:21:22 pm »

also petrified wood is a stone in df :P
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?