Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like to have mechanisms break down?

I would like mechanisms to break down completly random (with init)
I would like mechanisms to break down with maintaince(with init)
I will stop playing df if mechanisms can break down even with an init
I think mechanisms should break down and there should not be an init to chance it
What is a mechanism and why should I care I just want to burn elves!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Mechanical problem  (Read 4544 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Mechanical problem
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:00 am »

I think this could be the first step towards making material degradation.
(75% support 20.8% against)
With 600+ views and only 26 votes (including mine, which was just to see the results) I hardly think that is indicative of the overall support for the idea.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 08:47:16 am »

With 600+ views and only 26 votes (including mine, which was just to see the results) I hardly think that is indicative of the overall support for the idea.

Every time you click a link to the page, it increases the views, and it doesn't track "unique pagehits".  People like myself, who check every time there's a [new] tag, will probably be responsible for a dozen views apiece, and Thjiser probably views his own thread frequently to check the votes, as well.

"Views" is a number that is meaningful only in the macro - Improved Farming has twice as many posts as Improved Mechanics, but Improved Mechanics has 50% more views, which means that the people who actually read Improved Farming are the ones who are participating in the conversation, while Improved Mechanics has more lurkers.  Even that, however, isn't terribly useful information.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:39 am »

Well if you really want the system implemented, add it to the eternal voting page and see if people like it.

Personally I don't think its a good idea until an actual material degradation is in for all objects.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 02:38:40 pm »

This is a horrible idea, and the votes are twisted by heavily balanced options. Support it, or stop playing dwarf fortress entirely in protest of making even an option for it?

Gameplaywise, later years of the fortress tend to slow down anyway, so having to spend time keeping the existing machinery working simply multiplies the frustration exponentially.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 02:54:11 pm »

I believe this will be made redundant by actual degradation anyways. Toady is planning to make things degrade over time, not just mechanisms :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 08:01:44 pm »

Yeah, there is no need for a specific system like this to patch one aspect of the game when a much more well-integrated system could be put in to handle all items.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]