Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "d" and "r"  (Read 1597 times)

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"d" and "r"
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:34:39 am »

There are a few places in DF where you can hose yourself violently by pressing one key:

1) In the Notes screen, you can delete a note with "d".
2) You can remove a burrow with "r".
3) You can remove an item from the manager queue with "r".

I can't tell you how many times I've wrecked myself by deleting something that I'd spent time setting up, and in two of these cases it's often hard to figure out what I actually deleted, which makes it even worse.

It's possible to change the key-bindings for these, and in two of these cases I simply made them shift-whatever instead of whatever.

This has saved my bacon so many times that I have to argue that these should be the default key bindings.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
Re: "d" and "r"
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:51:24 am »

There's a Rebind Feature

God Fucking Damnit

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:37:43 pm »

Yes but that's difficult to use and it would probably be better to make it something good by default then something everyone is going to want to chance.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:50:10 pm »

The ability to change keybindings takes two minutes tops, and is basically as easy as any other game's ability to change keybindings.

It's also quite a waste of time to have people argue over what the default setting of something is, when people will just argue over what they think are better default settings.  That's why the keybindings are customizable in the first place - so that people can use whatever they want.

Personally, I find the < and > up and down method of control horrifically unintuitive and cumbersome, so I always just change it to 5 and 0 on the numpad.  Some people would hate that, but you know what?  They can do whatever they want.  And it only takes a couple minutes every version to change the keybindings to what I want.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:31:48 pm »

Why not just make it an option to have a confirmation screen when you are about to delete something?

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 06:09:54 am »

There's a Rebind Feature

God Fucking Damnit

Unnecessary...

It's also quite a waste of time to have people argue over what the default setting of something is, when people will just argue over what they think are better default settings.  That's why the keybindings are customizable in the first place - so that people can use whatever they want.

I agree to an extent. Yes this would be a minor smoothing of a rough edge, but with how simple it is to change, and how easy it is to lose something important, i agree with the OP on this one. Especially considering that the notes interface is always on the nearest note to the cursor. Considering how much we have to hit "d" in game its really easy to slip up and delete a note several z levels down cause it happened to be the closest to the cursor.

I think this is one of those simple fixes that people can easily manage without but its convenient to implement

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:55 pm »

Have to agree with the Op, I've accidently deleted my burrows about 4 times because I thought I was fully out of the burrows menu and wanted to designate something.  Honestly, I hadn't thought of rebinding until I read this thread. 

Rebinding will work for now, but a confirmation for deletions of that sort would be a nice option to have.  Especially since bindings go back to default every time a new version is released. 

Perhaps the confirmation could be an option in the init files for those who don't want the extra security.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:40:05 am »

Just because something can be change is no reason to ignore a suggestion that the default be changed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:29:48 am »

to make sure you wont delete anything just press space (or esc if you haven't changed it) so may times it pauses the game, then you KNOW you wont do anything bad
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 07:33:24 am »

There are a few places in DF where you can hose yourself violently by pressing one key:

1) In the Notes screen, you can delete a note with "d".
2) You can remove a burrow with "r".
3) You can remove an item from the manager queue with "r".

I can't tell you how many times I've wrecked myself by deleting something that I'd spent time setting up, and in two of these cases it's often hard to figure out what I actually deleted, which makes it even worse.

It's possible to change the key-bindings for these, and in two of these cases I simply made them shift-whatever instead of whatever.

This has saved my bacon so many times that I have to argue that these should be the default key bindings.

I second the above.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.