Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sheep, wool and milk on the hoof  (Read 1084 times)

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sheep, wool and milk on the hoof
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:17 am »

So I was browsing around and I saw quite a few threads about how to make sheep and wool etc.  The whole milking thing seemed wierd to me so I thought I'd give the mod a try.  After a few hours of cursing at the reaction line for not allowing me to use a sheep for anything I decided if you can't beat em join em.  So instead of actually using a sheep as a reagent I simply made a building (a few buildings actually) that would make and refine wool for weaving on a regular loom.

I made it a rather long process, and slow, since it is free clothes but not terribly so, and if it's too slow for you the numbers can always be changed.

Here is the RAW stuff you'll need:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope that helps those of you who need (NEED!) wool clothing >:p  It's set up so that wool is a silk cloth.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Sheep, wool and milk on the hoof
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:05:17 pm »

At first I tried to find out how did you make sheep milking to produce blocks, but then I've noticed that it's a free reaction and sheep are there just for the kicks. Ah well :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:15:55 pm »

Actually, couldn't you just make an extract called "sheep fur" and then a reaction at a custom workshop to spin it into a thread "wool." From there a different reaction to make a different type of cloth? Am I not getting this?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »

Yeah, custom reactions just don't want to use creatures for some reason.  So I just made it free wool until maybe that gets a fix/implementation.

I guess I could add milking to the male sheep (shiver) and have that come up with something that was threadable... but again it's just too creepy.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:24:50 pm by kwd1968 »

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »

Tru: sure but how would you get the extract out of the sheep (without killing it of course, that's the whole point)?  Only place I've seen extracts is on traders.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:44:36 pm »

Milk and cheese are also object types.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:11:01 pm »

refining sheep milk into wool?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:22:57 pm »

Yeah, call the milk something like "raw wool" and use it to produce wool cloth.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:00:50 pm »

i already tried it with the milking but the problem is they will extract a glob in a bucket, while it seems reasonable for chicken eggs and sheep wool, there is a bug with milked globs in custom reactions, as they can only be hauled in buckets (unlike fat/tallow) and the "[contains_lye]" tag is hardcoded

however you can make a copy of the hair tissue and rename it into wool and give it a reaction_class wool, thus you can use the hair from butchering to weave into wool, or as he did as a free reaction that creates the wool out of thin air ;p
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 03:41:05 am »

working on something... possibly have a fix sorta

edit: ok I got the whole milking thing to make wool to work... just refining it a little

re-edit: grrr unfortunately it doesn't allow you to have a milkable substance on the male and a different one on the female... it just redefines the first milk and cheese definitions to the second... so with the milking way there won't be any sheep milk or cheese even though it's listed in the stockpile records (though i guess you could trade for the cheese).  I'll put the raws up after school (3 or 4 hours).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:59:56 am by kwd1968 »

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 08:00:53 pm »

OK, sorry about the lateness.

So, milking for wool, has only one drawback, you can't milk the creature for regular milk/cheese and wool.  Whichever set you have last in the creature definition will be what you get.  But, you can define the regular process under the female caste first then define the wool milking under the male, and the game at least will think all the products are available, so you could trade for regular sheep milk and cheese for use in the kitchen, but just don't try to make cheese out of traded for milk, it turns in to wool.

Speaking of cheese >:p It was the answer to my problem.  As with everyone I ran in to the problem of having my milked wool in a bucket and no way of getting to it.  That's not right i thought!  The game has no problems getting to it!  Why... shoul...  :o !!!!!

So, I let the game get my wool out of the bucket for me, then processed the resulting cheese in to wool thread.

I also added a wool tissue layer to the sheep and the ability to get some wool (5 actually) when you butcher one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and there you have it.

edit: one thing though, the wool cheese doesn't play nice with other 'real' cheese so I suggest you make a separate stockpile for just the wool milk and cheese and exclude them from your other food stockpiles... if it gets mixed in barrels with the other stuff it locks the barrel down until you separate them out with 'take from stockpile' orders.  And the material values are just wild guesses, so if it turns out to be insane just lower them... haven't really tested that end out,
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:19:35 pm by kwd1968 »