Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Life and Times of Grey9 (with apologies to Strife26 for using his idea)  (Read 2331 times)

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Grey9 (with apologies to Strife26 for using his idea)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 09:49:25 pm »

@Barbarossa
Are you overdoing it? Most people I work out with switch between two daily workouts so each section gets a day's rest.
Technically it's every day except the weekends, and it consists of...

35 crunches
35 'switchers' (crunches where you alternate which knee you hit with your elbow)
35 side-crunches (on both sides)
35 leg lifts
35 Robbie-O's (I'm not sure why they're called this. You curl up your knees while on your back and then fully extend them, avoiding the ground.)
1 minute of 'Planks' (Lie on the ground with only your forearms and feet touching the ground, back flat.)
35 'Squiggly Monsters' (Hold legs out straight (crossed) and lean back, fold your arms, and alternate which elbow you hit the ground with.)
35 push-ups (Which I fail at due to noodle arms.)

I generally do these after XC workouts. The point is to have a core that can keep you straight while running, instead of your arms twisting around you and stealing your momentum. Generally they aren't very hard except for push-ups. Do you have any tips on making these any more effective?
I work out often and am ok at pushups, if you want to build your arms up you tuck your arms in so that as you do the pushup your hands are under your shoulders and elbows touch your sides the whole time
i cant make a labyrinth i dont understand pressure plates

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 09:56:30 pm »

How would you have your elbows touch your sides during a push up? I've recently started trying to do them with my hands directly beneath my shoulder, but that usually ends up with me having to rest between each 10 or so.

PS: Sorry if this seems like a huge derail. Somehow Strife26's topic went to exercise almost immediately as well.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »

I see everything aside from the push-ups are core exercises without machinery.

Your routine is great for abs, though those numbers are kind of small, unless you do sets of them, or you're just getting back into it. Though I must say, excellent job being able to do planks for a minute, I never got the hang of those.

I do leg lifts and knee-to-knee crunches. the knee-to-knee ones are a little easier than normal crunches, so I do a set of 100, then a set of 50 atm. If you do multiple sets, I'd suggest doing sets of 50, or 35 if 50's too much.

You know more about running than I do, but do you stretch? If you work on your abs for running, you should also work on your back, or there may be an uneven distribution of stress on it. I'd research that last part, as I'm not completely sure about it, but I remember my weight training class teacher say you must work on the opposite along with what you're training to make it better.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »

35 Robbie-O's (I'm not sure why they're called this. You curl up your knees while on your back and then fully extend them, avoiding the ground.)
35 'Squiggly Monsters' (Hold legs out straight (crossed) and lean back, fold your arms, and alternate which elbow you hit the ground with.)

Those two honestly sound like something Carebears do at boot camp.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 10:13:49 pm »

Currently we do 35, but we increase by 5 each week. I'm hoping that once we get to 50 I'll just continue doing them year-round. As far as stretching goes, I haven't had any problems with that. I can stick both my legs behind my back and walk on my hands, even. Usually we do these right after our core workouts.

Though I must say, excellent job being able to do planks for a minute, I never got the hang of those.
It's really not all that impressive to hold yourself up for a minute when you weigh as little as I do.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 [2]