Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: A friend might have joined a cult.  (Read 11363 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: A friend might have joined a cult.
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2010, 08:38:41 pm »

So, we are getting in touch with his family, and a minister who's the uncle of a mutual friend to talk with them.  He'll have the support of his loved ones if this group turns out to be exploitative.  If they turn out to be innocent, I'll feel pretty foolish about all this, but I won't regret looking out for a friend or, heaven forbid, asking the rest of Bay 12 for their thoughts and advice.
Sounds like a plan :)  Hopefully this all works out and nobody gets hurt.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2010, 09:16:34 pm »

Pretty sure brainwashing is illegal. Now it seems that you've quit, made a snide personal remark to most and then gave another unnecesarry 'if' situation.

If LDS sect that was in the news a while back was a cult, im pretty sure this one is.
You don't know that he's been 'brainwashed'.

I think that being a friend implies doing your best to ensure your friend's well-being.  I'm doing my best, and damned if I'm not perfect and all-knowing.  I don't think I'm wrong to worry.  There are charismatic predators in the world, and they use extant religions to recruit.  This is not mere conjecture.  People get hurt in those groups.

So, we are getting in touch with his family, and a minister who's the uncle of a mutual friend to talk with them.  He'll have the support of his loved ones if this group turns out to be exploitative.  If they turn out to be innocent, I'll feel pretty foolish about all this, but I won't regret looking out for a friend or, heaven forbid, asking the rest of Bay 12 for their thoughts and advice.

Anyway, thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughtful replies.
That is pretty much all you can do, contact his family and hope for the best. I really do hope it turns out to be harmless.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2010, 10:43:26 pm »

Brainwashing isn't illegal, either.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2010, 10:46:16 pm »

Yeah, I think I may have come off a bit heartless. Its not that I wouldn't care about my friend in this situation, I care about all of my friends as I only have a few. I'm picky that way. It's just that I cannot justify forcing my beliefs on someone else for any reason, which is what you would be doing if you interfered here. It isn't your place to investigate and stop self-destructive or illegal activity, even if it is your friend. If the cult really is dangerous and you go poking around, you may get hurt as well. Tell the cops, tell his family, that is all you can do really. Keep being a good friend to him and respect his choices. Be his friend despite the cult.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2010, 01:16:58 am »

^^ That's what I'm gonna do.

Thank you, all of you.  I'm locking the thread...  Don't think there's much more to be said.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]