Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One-way ramps (31.12)  (Read 561 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One-way ramps (31.12)
« on: September 12, 2010, 06:32:59 pm »

Anyone been able to get them working in the current version? I've been tinkering with them for a while now and can't get it to work.

Or was this fixed from 40D?

I miss my one-way ramps. Made for amazing goblin harvesters and collection systems for annoying creatures.  :(

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-way ramps (31.12)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:35:17 pm »

Sounds like a bug.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 07:27:21 pm »

If you give the goblins picks and convince them to dig the ramps out themselves...  then sure, it'll still work.

Otherwise, no--or actually wait:  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Ramps#Movement_Using_Ramps

The wiki says that its example of an impassable ramp could be made passable by walling in the empty spaces next to the ramp in -1 z, and an upright drawbridge is supposed to function like a wall...  Science time!
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:36:37 pm »

Actually, the "One Way Ramp" bug is caused when you make an S pattern with your digging. So the issue is that there is nowhere for the dorfs to go when they climb the ramp, thus, no climbing, thus, down, then no back up.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:39:34 pm »

Unfortunately this no longer seems to work:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:One-way

I've tried a few variations of this but no dice.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 07:43:19 pm »

The constructed floors and constructed ramps up but not down thing (I say it this way because obviously nobody knew what you were talking about,) was only in 40d. It was a very easy one-way traffic mechanism so maybe if enough of us request it toady can program a toggle on hatches to make them work like this or something. Maybe even make it an init option so only people who are aware of potential pathing pitfalls need play with it.

Edit: Maybe somebody should register for the wiki and mention how this doesn't work in the new version. 1 2 3 not it!
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:48:52 pm »

Why? There's no DF2010 article for it, there must be a reason for that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »

I was hoping to arrange for a surefire way to keep my military guys underground, away from the sun like proper dwarves while still ensuring that all goblins are mopped up properly. With axes. Crossbows are just too easy.

I could do this by making the entrance to my fort, from above ground to below ground, a one-way entrance. Traders and other creatures can still exit the map from the caverns, which means all goblins who spawn on the surface will then head into my fortress, running headlong into the meatgrinder, while my dwarves are free to move about chipping them to bits. No escape!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:33:16 pm »

I was hoping to arrange for a surefire way to keep my military guys underground, away from the sun like proper dwarves while still ensuring that all goblins are mopped up properly. With axes. Crossbows are just too easy.

I could do this by making the entrance to my fort, from above ground to below ground, a one-way entrance. Traders and other creatures can still exit the map from the caverns, which means all goblins who spawn on the surface will then head into my fortress, running headlong into the meatgrinder, while my dwarves are free to move about chipping them to bits. No escape!

You said grinder!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!