Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: carts and carousels  (Read 630 times)

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
carts and carousels
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:16:48 am »

Putting a bin on wheels and the wheels on a track should make it easy to chute goods to the depot, or whatever room for further processing. Getting it back is another problem, easily solved with a winch and chain.

Rotating platforms -- fun for the kids, and reorients your siege engines on the fly. Could also make a lazy susan in the center of your textiles operation. Or induce nausea without the intestinal trauma.

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
Re: carts and carousels
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:56:59 pm »

Carts are getting implemented really soon I hear. I think they're actually number one on the eternal voting page. I do think that large chains to lift/lower large chunks of rock for traps(weaker than actual cave-in though)/transportation/sealing entrance and rotating platforms for similar thing would be cool though.

Ultimoos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: carts and carousels
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:56:54 pm »

I was thinking how the carts would work. Its of course with pair with "volume & mass" where miners actually dig out rocks and waste which has to be hauled out of the way to dig next tile.
So there would be a hauling job. A hauler would be using some tools and items: bucket/Wheelbarrow and Spade (sorry i'm using an electronical dictionary) for short range hauling.
And the more advanced system: carts on rails like in everyday mine. Two stations with rails/tracks linking them together. Powered by animals or windmills/watermills.
About mechanics i think it would work like this: Lets say there is a mined dirt pile inside cavern and stockpile outside about 40 steps away. There would be also a station near that dirt pile linked with another station near stockpile. The dwarf with hauling job would go the the dirt pile and start loading his wheelbarrow using spade. When the wheelbarrow/bucket are full or there is no more dirt/sand/waste to load he would start his hauling job to the stockpile which is 40 steps away. To encourage him to use carts i think it would be made that way the dwarf would ignore the range of tracks. So if the tracks wold be 20-30 steps long the dwarf would see the whole route as about 20 steps long. And he would choose to haul to the station even if the real range that the load would move could be 40 or more steps long. After unloading everything in to the cart he would go back to another hauling job. And the carts would move to the next station.

Sorry, for not being able to express this a bit more understandable but i hope you'll see the point of it.