Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hacking games...  (Read 1921 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Hacking games...
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:29 pm »

... and the creation thereof.

Hacking games are video games that simulate (to some extent) hacking into computer systems. It's an idea that's fascinated me for years... However, the actual games I've found are fairly few, and usually low quality at that. Uplink is the most fun one I've managed to find.

I think the main problem I have with the majority of hacking games is the lack of realism... They start with a semi-realistic atmosphere, but when you start digging into the meat of the game it becomes obviously fake, full of "invisible walls". That's what I like about Uplink: it completely discards any attempt at realism, instead it has an alternate "internet" with its own interface and set of rules.

But I still crave a realistic hacking experience... I'm beginning to plan a hacking game of my own. My initial plan is to re-create a fairly detailed Linux-like system (including a simplified shell, editor(s), and a number of other commands), then build a "network" around that. I haven't figured out a plot, or really any details at all yet...

An alternative idea has entered my mind since I began typing this post: why build a virtual environment, when you can use an existing one? Using VirtualBox or another VM platform, set up a (semi-)secure virtual machine (or an entire network of them), either include a "player" machine or have them use their host machine...

Any other geeks out there interested? non-geeks are allowed too of course :)
either way, I highly recommend you try Uplink. it can be a little hard to get into, but once you learn a few of the basic tricks...

EDIT: yes, i am aware of the moral/legal implications of hacking. the only way I could possibly endorse hacking is as a tool against hackers. if this thread is out of line, let me know and i'll lock it
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:35:57 pm by SolarShado »
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hacking games...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:28 pm »

This is in GD, Solar.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:37:06 pm »

I wasn't sure if it's be better in other games or creative projects... thought this might be a good middle ground
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:41:36 pm »

Considering its about a (theoretical) game and that game isn't being produced by the Adams Brothers, Other Games would seem like the obvious choice to me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:08:44 am »

Yeah, this should really go into Other Games. Looking at the thread title and this being in GD, I thought this was about hacking games, not hacking games. Err, I mean about the process of hacking applied to games, not games about the process of hacking. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:05:04 am »

Street Hacker and Uplink are best.

Lawton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:44:04 am »

There is a game/competition called rootthisbox based out of hackthissite, IIRC, where people set up machines and try to hack each others. I think thats the closest you will get. The hack this site tutorials/levels are also there, if you havent seen them before.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 06:16:11 pm »

This was just released on Steam, I'm not sure what it's like but sounds like a Uplink spiritual successor. http://store.steampowered.com/app/70100/
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 07:53:53 pm »

The mention of "levels" seriously undercuts it. Plus the fact that it is entirely possible to purchase a copy of Uplink's source code from Introversion themselves...

Also: Uplink was, IIRC, intended to be based entirely off of hollywood hacking from the start.
Eh?
Eh!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »

This was just released on Steam, I'm not sure what it's like but sounds like a Uplink spiritual successor. http://store.steampowered.com/app/70100/
Wait, "unparalleled graphics"? That's interesting, because those screenshots make the game look like it doesn't have graphics at all.

Also, Hack This Site is a pretty good one.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »

Anyone play a freeware game called Decker?  I remember it being decent.