Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Liaison question  (Read 1167 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Liaison question
« on: September 11, 2010, 02:45:54 am »

So, I started a new fortress as I've learned a bit, and wanted to start fresh and take advantage of the new knowledge I've gleaned from these auspicious boards. :D  I was very surprised come Autumn, to see the Queen Consort Reg Something-or-other show up and declare herself to be my outpost liaison.  Is this kind of thing normal?  Every other time its been some nobody (and I've run through a lot of forts in the last month trying to figure out what I'm doing ::)).

Oh, and my first artifact, during early summer, was a large iron axe blade with an image engraved of some human killing an elf 1200 years prior, circa year 350.  It was valued at 91,500* (was trying to put vertical bars into my water inlet to keep stuff from the brook out of my well).  I'd made a few extra iron bars when my furnace operator went nuts and turned into a legendary weaponsmith (not that I'm complaining).  I'm guessing the fact that as soon as that artifact was completed my fortress was valued at 97,600* probably had something to do with it ... despite only have 7 dwarves at the time (which turned into 21 with the first migration wave ???).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Liaison question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:45:37 am »

not a question.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:43:14 am »

So far I've only had 'nobodies' as my liasons as well - though I haven't churned through all that many dwarven diplomats.  The only time I got anything remotely unusual was from the humans - after several years, one season they decided to send two diplomats.  The first arrived solo, and was called a "Law-Giver", followed soon after by my former diplomat and trade caravan.  Unfortunately goblin ambushes quickly killed off both diplomats, so I never got to find out what that second one would do, if anything.

It seems especially curious that it's the queen consort - nobles doing double-duty?  A civilization lacking for population maybe?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:48:49 am »

Quote from: krenshala
Is this kind of thing normal?

No idea if it's normal, but as far as I know the Liason could potentially have any profession/title. In the current version there is apparently a bug where it could even be from another civilization and lead to problems with him destroying stuff.

Quote from: AngleWyrm
not a question.

Sorry to cause a paradox.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 06:58:28 am »

Toady says he's fixed some diplomat and liasion issues according to his most recent update.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:25:19 am »

A Queen Consort is the Queen's husband, who is otherwise useless, but can hold other noble positions like outpost liason, I think.

If the Queen ever dies, I think the consort just demotes to a regular dwarf.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 10:34:56 am »

A Queen Consort is the Queen's husband, who is otherwise useless, but can hold other noble positions like outpost liason, I think.

If the Queen ever dies, I think the consort just demotes to a regular dwarf.

However, if said noble goes crazy but hasn't died yet, s/he will be demoted while their spouse will retain their "consort" title.

Or at least that happened to me one time(ok, more than one >.>) when my baroness went ape shit over some pretentious dining arrangements for dwarves who actually deserved them.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 10:49:32 am »

How did you get a strange mood with only seven dwarves? Minimum population requirement is 20. Did the mood happen just after the migrants came?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »

It was a long day yesterday ... after I posted I was thinking that I had 21 dwarves when the caravan showed, but I probably had a second wave of immigrants bring me up that high.   Thinking on it while more awake now, I think I got the fey mood just after getting 5 immigrants, bringing my total to 12, as it was one of the new guys.

Since I have the game open now ...

8 Sandstone - Bomrek Limulerar, Weaponsmith, is taken by a fey mood (so it had to be from my first immigrant wave ... you don't start with Weaponsmiths using default "Play Now!" starts ...)
9 Sandstone - Bomrek Limulerar begins a mysterious construction
14 Sandstone - Bomrek Limulerer, Weaponsmith, has created Gerigsterus, a giant iron axe blade!
16 Timber - The Queen Consort Reg Oltarkalur from Oshoshmafol has arrived
16 Timber - A caravan from Oshoshmafol has arrived

Gerigsterus "Bankdrives" a giant iron axe blade, Basic Value: 91200*

This is a giant iron axe blade.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.
On the item is an image of Ibu Equalsiege the elf and Atir Crowdedshimmer the Bad Metal of Shielding the human in iron.  Ibu Equalsiege is cringing.  Atir Crowdedshimmer the Bad Metal of Shielding is striking a menacing pose.  The artwork relates to the smashing of the elf Ibu Equalsiege's lower left back tooth by the human Atir Crowdedshimmer the Bad Metal of Shielding in 337 during Nashra Osp, "The Attack of Axes".

Checking through the announcements I noticed it doesn't list when you get immigrants.  I wish I was more awake when it happened.  I know I didn't get but one wave prior to the first caravan, I got a larger one before the caravan left (bringing me up to 21 dwarves), and then I got a third monster wave in the spring that brought my fortress population to 42 dwarves.  ???  Created wealth as of 7th Hematite 1052 is 120,564*, with 103,150* of that being from "Other Objects" (two artifacts total, the second being a 9k* agate hatch cover, with a mason currently having taken over a craftsdwarf workshop and making something out of bauxite and, of all things, lignite).
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 02:57:19 pm »

It does list migrant arrival. The game likes to prune old announcements. Check gamelog.txt.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 06:08:42 pm »

It does list migrant arrival. The game likes to prune old announcements. Check gamelog.txt.
Ah, more gems of wisdom learned from the board! :)

ooh .. it doesn't create a new one when you start a new world ... i'm trying to skip past all the
Sodel Itonfath, Hunter cancels Rest: Interrupted by Goblin Maceman.
type comments to get to when I started my current fortress.

... ah, found it.  Lets see ... oh, yeah, might as well open Dwarf Therapist as well ...  Wave 1 (starting) 7, Wave 2 - 8, Wave 3 - 6, Wave 4 - 21 according to DT.

The gamelog.txt lists:
Some migrants have arrived.
Bomrek Limulerar, Weaponsmith is taken by a fey mood!
Bomrek Limulerar, Weaponsmith has created Gerigsterus, a giant iron axe blade!
The Queen Consort Reg Oltarkalur from Oshoshmafol has arrived.
A caravan from Oshoshmafol has arrived.

So, it appears I remembered incorrectly, and I did indeed have 21 dwarves when I got my first fey mood. I guess this just goes to show that memory is fallible, and game logs can show you the order stuff really happened.  :D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:49:34 pm »

Yup, you had just enough dwarves. Had two of them died, you wouldn't have gotten that axe blade.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 01:32:37 am »

Well, now to see if I can some of these lazybones militarily trained before the gobbos steal the socks of their corpses. ;)

Thank you to all for pointing out what I'd overlooked on this.