Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Higher detail embark map  (Read 1502 times)

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Higher detail embark map
« on: September 13, 2010, 02:49:58 am »

I did a search for related terms in as many ways I could think to word it, but I couldn't find much.

I was reading through the devlog and noticed some (exported?) maps that were high detail. IE this recent one. Compare to the regular in-game chunky ASCII representation in the corner. I really like this as opposed to the ASCII embark map in game. My 12x12 tileset I'm using right now could be showing 144x more detail if it were done with just pixels rather than whole symbols.

Using pixels rather than whole symbols isn't as flexible, being limited to merely color, but it would be awesome to have as another map mode. Things like the altitude map could be MUCH better visualized this way, while the terrain type is probably better off done with symbols.

If this were implemented, In the highest zoom window, how many in game tiles would fit into a pixel?

Now for symbol maps, they could still be higher detail. We could have a separate tileset for the map that is smaller and render the map window with more tiles over the same area. IE a separate 8x8 (about the smallest it can legibly go) tileset could do 4x the detail of a 16x16.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Higher detail embark map
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:27:59 am »

Each pixel on the detailed map already corresponds to one tile on the local map during embark.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Higher detail embark map
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:25:39 pm »

Each pixel on the detailed map already corresponds to one tile on the local map during embark.
Perfect.

I know serious graphical development is being held off, but would either of these be too difficult to implement? While there isn't really a shortage of features for the embark map, it's the low resolution that irks me. I don't see a reason why we can't have a nicer map.