Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can animals breed through forbidden doors?  (Read 1264 times)

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can animals breed through forbidden doors?
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:43:37 pm »

I know that right now everything breeds through spores, but do locked doors block the spores? I'm trying to over run the caverns with dogs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: can animals breed through forbidden doors?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:44:20 pm »

the spores are subatomic and go through solid lead.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:51:19 pm »

ok good, too bad the troglodytes didn't like my dog colonization and without elvish traders i won't be able to get any stronger animals

well that experiment turned out to be quite Fun, a forgotten beast decided to visit my doggy day care center.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:45:22 pm by yaklin »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:29:59 am »

the spores are subatomic and go through solid lead.

And yet, a cage creates a spore-proof forcefield.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:35:29 am »

that's because cages stop ANYTHING

NWTreeOctopus

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 02:15:29 pm »

They're really more stasis fields, right?  They can't breed when they're locked in the same cage, right?  What keeps the cages from slowly filling with dog spores?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 02:25:02 pm »

I have a strange situation going on in a current fortress.

I have a single female dog chained up in my mayor's bedroom.  This is the only uncaged dog on the map.  I have no other dogs chained or caged inside my fortress.

Outside in the death pit is the slaughtered remains of a trade caravan.  Among the other forbidden and inaccessible goods are a few caged dogs.

The female dog in my mayor's room gives birth to puppies every year (which are promptly slaughtered).

The only male dog around is in a cage.  I had thought that animals in cages could not make uncaged animals pregnant.  Has that changed, or am I missing something?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 03:43:34 pm »

I have a strange situation going on in a current fortress.

I have a single female dog chained up in my mayor's bedroom.  This is the only uncaged dog on the map.  I have no other dogs chained or caged inside my fortress.

Outside in the death pit is the slaughtered remains of a trade caravan.  Among the other forbidden and inaccessible goods are a few caged dogs.

The female dog in my mayor's room gives birth to puppies every year (which are promptly slaughtered).

The only male dog around is in a cage.  I had thought that animals in cages could not make uncaged animals pregnant.  Has that changed, or am I missing something?
Invisible dogs.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:18:58 pm »

Pregnant animals in cages give birth.

Cages aren't stasis. Animals age and die (as do trapped dwarves die of dehydration and their wounds) while in cages.

Cages are individual pocket dimenion (one per caged animal). This is why female animals in a cage with a male animal (of their species) don't become pregnant. Since the pocket dimension can only hold one being, when a pregnant animal finally gives birth, all the new animals end up outside the cage. It can't hold them, so they "get out".
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:21:39 pm »

Follow up: This might explain an unusal phenomena I've seen where caged female goblins suddenly are surrounded by a new squad of goblins. Maybe she was pregnant... I've had this occur several times; I prefer this explaination to a goblin ambushes just materializing out of the air when they are around caged goblins--- and they've all been caged female goblins when I've bother to check.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 06:37:24 pm »

Since the pocket dimension can only hold one being, when a pregnant animal finally gives birth, all the new animals end up outside the cage. It can't hold them, so they "get out".
Actually, a cage can hold an infinite number of creatures, and when creatures give birth the offspring are initially inside the cage with them.  What happens then is that those new offspring aren't assigned to the cage, so a dwarf helpfully comes along and releases them.  If you go to the cage and assign the children to it as soon as they're born, they stay in the cage.

I've had this occur several times; I prefer this explaination to a goblin ambushes just materializing out of the air when they are around caged goblins--- and they've all been caged female goblins when I've bother to check.
I'm pretty sure that's just stealthy ambushers who you don't see until a dwarf bumps into them.  Civilized creatures like goblins don't give birth unless they are married and their husband is on the same map as them, something that very rarely happens with invaders.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:26:59 am »

plus, we've seen that, at least with horses, enemy non-sentients that give firth in your fort give birth to freindlies.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 11:34:56 am »

Since the pocket dimension can only hold one being, when a pregnant animal finally gives birth, all the new animals end up outside the cage. It can't hold them, so they "get out".
Actually, a cage can hold an infinite number of creatures, and when creatures give birth the offspring are initially inside the cage with them.  What happens then is that those new offspring aren't assigned to the cage, so a dwarf helpfully comes along and releases them.  If you go to the cage and assign the children to it as soon as they're born, they stay in the cage.

Right, but in the cage is a pocket universe for each creature inside. Also in my experience the newborns are always outside the cage immediately after birth, and i have to have them put in the cage again. Kind of like how when a dwarf gives birth the baby is like 6 miles away for no reason at all.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]