Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plump Helmets Gone Extinct  (Read 894 times)

Shanks13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plump Helmets Gone Extinct
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:48:33 pm »

That's really about all I can figure.  I embarked in the year 199, and much to my amazement, I had no plump helmets available with which to embark!  I was somewhat wary of continuing, but figured I'd be able to sort it out once the elves brought an elephant.  Things have gone smoothly thus far, I'm wondering if I'll find some plump helmet men though...

Anyone else ever not had plump helmets available?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Plump Helmets Gone Extinct
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:51:52 pm »

did you have the other crops available?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 12:20:32 am »

Is your civilization dead?

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 12:22:31 am »

Do you have caverns?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:21:42 am »

Yes, I've noticed that occasionally some species of underground plant won't be available to certain civs, while they are to others. I've even seen it happen before when I did have caverns. Doubt it's a bug, just very rare if you have no mods; I play with the genesis mod's botany section installed and there's always about 5-10 species missing from any given civilization's list. Some species seem to just be unavailable, even while others are.

By the way, the death of your civilization will never affect what items you can bring on embark, just whether you can get migrants/ dwarven caravans after the first two migration waves, so that isn't the case.

My guess is that cavern regions across the world don't necessarily have to have all the same species, and that each civ is allowed to have only species of plants and animals present in the caverns directly beneath it's original city. If you have caverns, check the first and second for : (it's a purple colon), which are plump helmets. Otherwise, start farming above ground/breeding livestock/growing and cooking the other crops, because you won't be getting any plump helmets unless you regen or re-embark with another civ.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:28:15 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 01:51:09 am »

I have the same situation, except it's with pigtails...   It makes for a nice challenge, I think, since you have to work around the situation.  Rope Reed hasn't shown up on my low soil map (between the lake, the brook and the mountain there wasn't much room left), but the elves will be around soon so hopefully I can steel ;D some from them.