Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A little help?  (Read 682 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
A little help?
« on: September 13, 2010, 03:13:00 am »

Yeah I just started and I already love the game, lost a fortress to not enough food or booze and could't make a well already. But there are two questions I have that would really help me. The first is how do I make sure my soldiers gain skills when they train? I've seen them train for awhile but never get any better at anything. And how do I annoy the Elves enough that they will bring me animals, Elephants in particular, but not so much they want to wipe me out?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A little help?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:52:04 am »

a: There are only two really effective ways of training soldiers without modding atm.
#1: Make a small 4x4 room with a door and a weapon rack. set all melee squads to active/training status(s, select each squad by letter and hit t to change the "Inactive", to Active/Training"), and make sure they all are set to train at that weapon rack only(hover over the built weapon rack with q, use + and - to set each melee squad to train with t. Ignore all other features of the weapon rack, they are all pretty much useless). Build Upright Spear/Spike traps containing ONLY wooden training spears, 1 is fine, more is better, up to 10 per trap. Link each of these to one lever(q to hover over the lever, a for new task S for link to SPear/Spike trap, then link each individual trap to the lever) right outside the training room. Then set the lever to be pulled repeatedly(q to hover over the lever, a for new task, P to pull the lever, then r to repeat the task infinitely until told otherwise). Your dwarves armor, shield, dodge, fighting, and weapon skills will skyrocket. They go up so fast that some consider it kind of exploity, however you can decide that for yourself. If you do decide this is a bit like cheating, you can do this instead:

#2: Catch various attackers in cages, then make an "arena" of sorts. I recommend storing all non empty cages in a stockpile(you can do this by making an animal stockpike, then hovering over it with q, hitting s for settings, then going to Animals, and hitting u and j to make the "Empty Cages" and Empty Animal Traps" options down in the bottom right corner dim), channeling down 2-3 floors in one tile, then making the room down there the arena. Make sure there's a door into the room, station your military in the room, lock the door, and then drop two or three of the cages invaders into the room at a time by setting a zone with i over the hole and using p to set Pit/Pond to active, then hitting P while still looking at it and then hitting enter when by the name of the invader you want thrown in there.

Few important things when using this method:

#1: Do NOT use animals for this. Tame ones can't be attacked, and untame ones will attack the dwarves that release them. You can, however, station your dwarves by the full cages, then set the untame animals to be thrown in the pit, the random hauler dwarves will release them and your military will immediately jump on them axe first.

#2: Do NOT use thieves for this. They function just like animals. However, again, you can use the same trick for them you use for animals.

#3: Disarm all invaders before throwing them in the pit. There's a much less effective easy way and a harder way. The easy way is to mass dump(d-b-d) the cages containing invaders, then going back with k and un-dumping the cages. This will remove all clothing, armor, weapons, and anything else the invaders have and dump them, meaning your dwarves will slaughter them pretty much effortlessly. This works, but you won't get a whole lot of skill from it unless they happen to be master wrestlers or something. The (slightly) harder way requires an active bookkeeper that is keeping counts perfectly accurate(you can do this by setting a bookkeeper in the (n)obles menu, then assigning him an office by building a chair or throne somewhere just like a bedroom with a bed, then going back to the noble menu and selecting the bookkeeper, hitting s, then setting it to "Highest Precision". You'll have to wait a bit, but it will then show exactly everything you have in the "Stocks" menu in the z menu). You first make sure no armor is dcurrently designated for dumping, then mass dump the cages again. Then go into the stocks menu, and go through each armor type(armor, legwear, headwear, handwear, footwear, shields) and un-dump them. Leave the weapons dumped. Your dwarves should then remove their weapons and leave the rest, meaning your dwarves will be almost totally safe, but still will have to beat on the goblins a good bit before they go down. This works even better with training weapons, as it'll take a bazillion hits to kill them with wood, giving even more skill. Just make sure they un-equip them after they're done, running into battle with wooden axes is a great way to lose your military.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:57:21 am »

Thank you for the training tips, I think I'll be useing the trap one since my map has alot of wood and I have tons of it to spare at the moment. Though I could still use help on how to make the elves annoyed enough to bring me my Elephants, for food and war, but not angry enough to seige.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:33:08 am by KaguroDraven »
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 04:47:39 am »

Oh, right, I went to typing and forgot about that.

To be honest with you, i've stolen from every elf caravan and refused to stop cutting down trees(even when i wasn't cutting them down) for 10 years straight and never once had them attack me.

They're hard to really piss off.

That said, the best animal i've ever had them bring me was a few Grizzly Bears. I've never seen the Elephants and Giant Eagles and other awesomeness other people have, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist, I assume that i never get Elf Civilizations in  areas with those animals for whatever reason.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:20:25 am »

There seems to be a bug,if you dump goblins in magma from a cage trap all thier items magically appear where they where first caught.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31:41 am »

For the military, make sure you have size three squads rather than size ten. Large squads don't train effectively.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:25:46 am »

There seems to be a bug,if you dump goblins in magma from a cage trap all thier items magically appear where they where first caught.
This happens when you mod out their brains(killing them) while they're in cages as well. I assume it happens just if they die in their cage.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.