Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CORRIDOR OF DEATH!!!  (Read 767 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CORRIDOR OF DEATH!!!
« on: September 07, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »

So in practice I just wanted some information on how this would work.  I have a corridor of death set up at the only open door to my fortress, it leads through a trap filled corridor, the traps are all weapon traps with 3 Wooden Spike Balls inside ((didn't want to put more because it was beginning to take away from my barrel production and elves are going to be getting pissy at me soon anyhow))that is about 10 tiles long.  Following this I have 2 kitten/cats tied up in little observation booths (2x2rooms with fortifications so the cats can look out and see any thieves/child snatchers, followed by yet another 10 tile long weapon trap corridor once again each trap filled with 3 Wooden Spike Balls in them.  Now I know that by itself isn't the most impressive thing in the world, but on the sides of each Trap Corridor is a pit that is only 5 z-levels deep with wooden spikes in the bottom ready to impale whatever comes down, basically this is a set up to kill invaders by 1,000 cuts, because once them come into the fortress, I can raise a bridge and keep them trapped in my Trap Corridor until it a corridor lined with death, blood, vomit, and goblinite. 

My question is, do I need to update those wooden spike balls / wooden spikes at some point or will this set up eventually kill them all invaders of my (hopefully) great fortress.  Or is this just a doomed experiment that will lead to lots of fun.

Sorry if that was kind of confusing, I'm a little sleepy to be honest?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CORRIDOR OF DEATH!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:50:48 pm »

Wood kind of sucks when it comes to dealing damage- so much so that, as I understand it, it's often blocked completely by normal pig tail clothing as if it were steel armor.

So... if you're going for the "Death of a thousand cuts" thing, yeah, they'll work great for that. That sounds about like the number of times the spikes will have to rise, on average, to hit them in thier unprotected necks.

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:52:17 pm »

Also, if you are worried about elves when you are making a corridor of death you are doing something wrong.

And yeah... wood really can't hurt jack... that's why training weapons are made from it...

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:57:05 pm »

Meh, I just want to buy the plants from the elves and their trendy caged animals for my zoo.  So... my plan is kind of a fail right now then, I suppose I should replace these wood weapons with metal or something, guess it's time for some exploratory mining.  Here's hoping for bronze as I like saving steel for my military dwarves.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:00:12 pm »

Wait, I had idea, the whole purpose of the weapon traps was to get them to dodge into the pits, so if I keep the wooden weapons, and fill the pits with water, can the whole thing be salvaged?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 11:34:17 pm »

Meh, I just want to buy the plants from the elves and their trendy caged animals for my zoo.  So... my plan is kind of a fail right now then, I suppose I should replace these wood weapons with metal or something, guess it's time for some exploratory mining.  Here's hoping for bronze as I like saving steel for my military dwarves.
Actually, you want to piss them off some if you want cooler animals.

Wait, I had idea, the whole purpose of the weapon traps was to get them to dodge into the pits, so if I keep the wooden weapons, and fill the pits with water, can the whole thing be salvaged?
Ayup.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 11:49:33 pm »

VICTORY!!!  Now to wait until I get some Goblins in here to try this out.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:17:49 am »

Hope that the goblins arenīt able within this short time to learn to swim however  ;)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:55:57 am »

Hope that the goblins arenīt able within this short time to learn to swim however  ;)
Throw a freakin' carp in there.
If the moat is blocked off, the carp will get hungry. And goblins are its favorite snack.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:40:20 am »

You can build a retractable bridge over it and when the water is 7/7 they drown.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 07:19:38 am »

OK, so I changed it up a bit, now I have a bridge keeping them visiting the parts I added on just to get the water into the pits, so basically they no longer can go back to the weapon traps unless I let them, will they all drown eventually now or will I have to go drop a rock on them or something to knock them out, then drown them?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:09 pm »

Most people cannot swim - it is a learned skill and one that isn't taught formally in any soldier training programme. So yes, they will all drown. Incidentally, an alternative is to have a 10 z-level fall to kill them instead.

Oh btw, your observation booth idea is fun and creative but to my knowledge you need to be directly adjacent to stealthed units to spot them. The kittens will always be at range 2 or greater so won't see the ambushers. Just put the kittens on the actual path - you got lots of them to spare if you have a breeding pair of cats in your fort.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 01:01:48 pm »

I use 5 level drop. Not enough to kill them, just enough to cause serious injuries.

My barracks filled with legendary sworddwarves is at the bottom of the pit.

They always keep running out of sparring partners.  :(